Accuracy of quarry tickets?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by zlandman, Sep 18, 2018.

1. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

We received several loads of sand from a local quarry. 15 tickets in a row were 22.00 tons. I don't believe for a minute they can load that accurately. The scale is inspected by the dept of ag.
    So clearly the scale was down and they were just sending out trucks with a made up number. And there's not a doubt they were loaded somewhere in the 22 ton range.
    So what would you do in this situation? Anything? Let it go?

2. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

What were they loading them with? Most newer loaders can weigh as they load the trucks. I've found they are pretty accurate, within 1,000 lbs. Drivers hate getting on the scales and being overloaded and risk the DOT guy.

3. NLPS

NLPS LawnSite Member

Yeah I’d agree with gcbailey, the quarry I get stone from gets to within the nearest 100kg (220lbs). Those onboard loader scales make loading quick and accurate.

You can always call the scale and ask if there was a power outage or system failure.

4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

Maybe they rounding up or down

5. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Funny thing is tickets are always 21.85, 22.08, etc. Never a round number. They do weigh with the loader but no it's not that accurate compared to the static scale.
    I'll have to get ahold of the quarry.

6. fireball756

fireball756 LawnSite Senior Member

Be nice when the quarry nazi says “no more sand for you”

7. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

LMAO