1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

Acorn Remaval

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by keuka, Sep 19, 2019.

1. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Bronze Member

The squirrels here bury most of them and return later to dig them up again.
    Unfortunately, they don't neatly fill in the hole again when they're done. :hammerhead:

hort101 and zlandman like this.
  2. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

We had so many last year the squirrels started tightly wrapping them in cellophane and brown paper and trafficking them North to the border.

phasthound and KerbDMK like this.
  3. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Bronze Member

If only that were true.

4. OP
    OP
    keuka

keuka LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I talked with the Stihl dealer I bought the Kombi unit from, I can rent a rubber paddle head broom and try it out before I buy one. That's probably the route I go.
    Someone mentioned a pull behind sweeper and I thought of that but if you run equipment over the nuts with a pull behind, the tires on the mower bury the nuts they run over and the sweeper won't get those. On my mower the tires probably cover 50% of what the sweeper will cover.
    I've been mowing out to the drip edge of the oaks, Red Oaks @ 36 inch diameter, with my self propelled walk behind Honda using the bagger and mowing at 2 inches. Then blowing the nuts into piles and picking them up with a snow shovel. It works but in heavy mast years it takes hours each time and needs to be done several times throughout the fall. If I leave them they sour the lawn and kill the grass. The squirrels and deer get some of the nuts but in a heavy mast year like this the nuts are too plentiful and the caps are left behind anyway.

5. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Silver Member

Well, if you do rent it and like it, you've got several years before you have to go back and buy one. By then, who knows what machine you'll be using. Maybe we'll all be driving Jetson's cars.

phasthound likes this.