Add any fert at time of planting?

Discussion in 'Fertilizers, Pesticides and Diseases' started by ron mexico75, Oct 26, 2017.

1. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Silver Member

Not sure if this is the correct forum to place this or over in landscape maintenance?

I have a job tomorrow where I'm planting several 5-6 foot B&B Green Giant arborvitaes. I have never added any fert at time of planting before so that's why I'm asking if it's a good idea, bad idea, or doesn't matter either way. I want to know if anyone does this or recommends mixing in a liquid fert while watering in and back filling?

Like a root simulator that reduces transplant shock such as a 4-10-3 or even a super phosphate 0-45-0? Like I said, I usually just plant and then water in with nothing else. Is there a real benefit to adding what I mentioned or is it recommended to do it at certain times of year depending on when you plant?

2. OP
    OP
    ron mexico75

Well....I might just go with a 3-10-3 that I found. Says it helps reduce transplant shock and stimulates early root formation.

3. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Ime usually no fertilizer in the hole
    Best thing is to take the cage and burlap off
    Use compost when backfillingThumbs Up

ots likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    ron mexico75

Yeah that's probably better. That's what I do all the time. Not sure why I'm was thinking of adding this stuff.

However, I quoted this job without compost, just the native soil as back fill.

5. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic

How many?

6. OP
    OP
    ron mexico75

(9) 5-6ft b&b.

hort101 likes this.
  7. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic

1\2 bag black cow per tree be about $25
    If you want to fert give a sprinkle on top and
    watering them in Thumbs Up

8. OP
    OP
    ron mexico75

Yeah good idea. That's what I usually use anyways. Not sure what I was thinking when I didn't include that in the quote.

hort101 likes this.
  9. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Good compost, tried and true peat moss always work well. I like Sustane 4-4-4 w/mycorhizae if you want a bagged "fertilizer""

10. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Silver Member

Earthworm castings