Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need some advice.currently i own a 95 chevy k2500 reg cab w/8' bed,4wd,5.7 v8.i was considering adding a truck craft dump insert with all the accessories for $3,000 installed.this would make hauling materials much faster.i would also have new heavier rear springs installed.with this set up it would also be easier to plow with.on the flipside ,the dump truck can hold more material and would be more heavy duty.the downside is the wideness of the dumptruck for plowing.if i have the dump insert put in,i would also buy a new silverado hd pickup to plow with.any thoughts?

· Registered
966 Posts
3000??? i would buy a new truck.i paid 1845 for my truck craft dump bed installed

· Registered
2,146 Posts
Only you can truely answer this question. If you do more maintenance and small mulch jobs 4 yds or less, you're okay w/ an insert. If you do more landscaping and hauling stone, more mulch, topsoil, etc... then you may need the dump truck.

· Registered
102 Posts
I am in the same situation, so I went and bought this dump trailer! My issue was having to tie up my mowing trailer everytime I had a mulch job. This way I can haul off debris and also do a mulch job without having to loose a day of mowing.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Truck Automotive tire

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the truck dump inserts are no good then?

· Registered
966 Posts
i love my dump bed inserts.i have a new truck craft and one new ez dumper with the 51 degree dump angle and one old ez dumper with the 47 degree dump angle

· Registered
257 Posts
I have a "LITTLE TIPSTER" dump, made in Buffalo NY...It is nice because it sits lower than an EZ dumper, so you don't lose the bed space, the only drawback is with wet loads or compacted mulch/topsoil....you have to do the old run and gun move to get the load out....I am having a problem with mine, that is being fixed in the shop now, the hydraulic resevoir is seperating from the motor (must have rattled loose from the rear suspension?) Otherwise, for lawn cutting I would absolutely recommend it!!!...NO MORE SHOVELING, it will be one of the best purchases you will make!

· Registered
557 Posts
Have you seen the pickup box conversion kits from Northern Tools? They appear to use the existing box on the truck, and a hydraulic arm to dump the box. Was only about $800. Of course, you would still be limited to the volume and weight capacity of your existing box. Anybody seen one in person?

· Registered
102 Posts
Work_it, I bought this one new for $4075.00

· Registered
1,225 Posts
I personally would buy a dump insert. But it all depends on what exactly it will be used for.

I use mine mostly for grass, brush, and mulch. I get crushed stone and other heavy material with it every once in a while, but you can't get a whole lot at once; you might consider a dump truck or dump trailer if the majority of material will be heavy.

A dump trailer wouldn't work for me because I have to have somewhere to dump grass and other debris when the mowing trailer is hooked up.

By the way, we have the same truck:) Same year and all.

Ryan

· Registered
951 Posts
I tried buying one of those conversion kits and had it installed on one of my chevy 2500s by a competent welder/mechanic. I was never very happy with the way it lifted up or the way ithe bed sat back down when it was lowered. Plus the lift capacity on it was ridiculous, it would barely dump a load of wet mulch. I now own an e-z dumper and a little tipster. The tipster holds more and dumps more than the e-z dumper, so I recommend the little tipster.:drinkup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.