Add Oil Cooler 19hp Kawasaki, easy upgrade

OP
flintknapper

flintknapper

LawnSite Senior Member
I guess it could increase capacity is you add more oil than recommended for the eninge other wise wouldn't it be taking away oil from else where?

You do add a small amount of oil after the installation. Just run the engine for a minute or two to check for leaks. Shut it off and wait 5 minutes for all the oil to settle.

Check the level on your dipstick and add oil until the correct level on the dipstick is achieved.

The FH601V has a pressurized lubrication system and the 'correct' oil filter incorporates an anti-drain back feature. So there is always oil in the filter at shut down. Also the new oil cooler will hold a small amount of oil in the internal cavity.

To answer your question...though, no oil will not be 'taken away' from elsewhere. That isn't possible with a pressurized system. You can only have too little oil, which would starve the entire system.

My engine does not have a 'low oil shut down' feature, so it is important to check the oil level daily and watch for leaks.

wheatus

LawnSite Bronze Member
My issue with this post is that you keep calling it an upgrade. This is not addressing a problem it is accessorizing.

I would submit it is inaccurate to suggest the cooler "isn't doing anything".

At the very least...it adds a modest increase in oil capacity. The cooler does indeed have a small chamber that oil can circulate through.

So what?

Of course the 'efficiency' of the device is not without question, as I alluded to in my original post.

The device's efficiency isn't the issue. Its efficacy is.

Just looking at it....you can clearly see the attempt to add surface area (via the fins) results only in a moderate increase.

IF there is adequate air flow over the device, then most certainly it IS exchanging heat and thus 'cooling' the oil to 'some degree'.

However, IF there is NOT good airflow over the oil cooler...I could conceive the opposite is possible. In other words the 'mass' of the unit would be scavenging heat from the block and acting as a 'heat sink' instead of a 'cooler'.

Once again, so what? A marginal increase/decrease in oil temperature provides zero benefits.

Since I am not a thermodynamic engineer, I will have to trust that the engineers at Kawasaki felt the unit 'beneficial' enough to include it on the 25hp model of the FH series.

If we are going to put our faith in the engineering, why don't we trust that they did the right thing on this engine in the first place?

DumasWalker

LawnSite Bronze Member
I dont see the argument. It may or may not help kawasaki made it to fit on thier engine. No on can say it will make engine last longer or not. I belive it wont hurt but help. There also may be a hole above cooler not shown in picture that cooling fan draws air through. On horizontal kohlers they have a hole in shroud for oil cooler. Also a hole in shroud on voltage regulator for cooling fan to draw air through.

captchas2

LawnSite Member
old time member who forgot his old log in info and had changed email so sorry for making a new username,
To start i hate to reopen old threads but found myself in the same boat with oil temp and pressure drop on a fv691v in a cub ultima zt2-50 .

Running this new machine with a Fr691v last summer i found the oil temp was more than i like, so i did some digging . found a Fh721 factory oil cooler had been installed on a FD some years back, fit and worked,

While Kawasaki hasn't added or offered a kit to install a oil cooler on most V twin motors save the FH721's, and Taking a $100,00 chance i ordered up factory Kawasaki parts for the 721V , 39067-7008 Cooler-Oil ,59071-0742 Joint ,92055-7006 - RING-O ,49065-0724 oil filter

Trying to install, I found the cooler hit the cast in filter drip diverter for the oil filter, on the Fr691v was stopping the cooler from laying flat to the base cover, Using a Sawzall,I carefully cut back that flange till the cooler fit flush to the engine, made sure of clearing the dipstick tube, Than removed the factory filter nipple/joint. installed the cooler using the new o-ring and longer joint cooler retainer .
i also removed the fan cover to make sure the plate had the needed holes to send air over the cooler, low and behold it did ,
the stock 49065-0721 filter being larger in diameter will not fit with the cooler as it hits the cooler fins, and will not screw on. The smaller OD 49065-0724 most be used.

The work took about a hour, end result a near 25 deg drop in oil temp, using a lazer gauge , allowing me to drop to kawasaki 10w40 oil from 20w50. this Adds about a pint of oil to the capacity. looks dead factory .

After a full summer of running I'm personally pleased with the addition

Attachments

• stock filter mount.jpg
    stock filter mount.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 21
  • stock mount nipple removed.jpg
    stock mount nipple removed.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 22
  • base cover cut.jpg
    base cover cut.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 20
  • cooler mounted.jpg
    cooler mounted.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 20
  • new filter.jpg
    new filter.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 20
  • stock air flow holes.jpg
    stock air flow holes.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 21
OP
flintknapper

flintknapper

LawnSite Senior Member
old time member who forgot his old log in info and had changed email so sorry for making a new username,
To start i hate to reopen old threads but found myself in the same boat with oil temp and pressure drop on a fv691v in a cub ultima zt2-50 .

Running this new machine with a Fr691v last summer i found the oil temp was more than i like, so i did some digging . found a Fh721 factory oil cooler had been installed on a FD some years back, fit and worked,

While Kawasaki hasn't added or offered a kit to install a oil cooler on most V twin motors save the FH721's, and Taking a $100,00 chance i ordered up factory Kawasaki parts for the 721V , 39067-7008 Cooler-Oil ,59071-0742 Joint ,92055-7006 - RING-O ,49065-0724 oil filter

Trying to install, I found the cooler hit the cast in filter drip diverter for the oil filter, on the Fr691v was stopping the cooler from laying flat to the base cover, Using a Sawzall,I carefully cut back that flange till the cooler fit flush to the engine, made sure of clearing the dipstick tube, Than removed the factory filter nipple/joint. installed the cooler using the new o-ring and longer joint cooler retainer .
i also removed the fan cover to make sure the plate had the needed holes to send air over the cooler, low and behold it did ,
the stock 49065-0721 filter being larger in diameter will not fit with the cooler as it hits the cooler fins, and will not screw on. The smaller OD 49065-0724 most be used.

The work took about a hour, end result a near 25 deg drop in oil temp, using a lazer gauge , allowing me to drop to kawasaki 10w40 oil from 20w50. this Adds about a pint of oil to the capacity. looks dead factory .

After a full summer of running I'm personally pleased with the addition

Good work Sir. Now hopefully @wheatus will not come along and challenge your findings. Seems every forum has 'that guy'.

Happy mowing.

Top Forums