Added lights to my mower

I got a price for the factory Scag LED lights for my new V- Ride II and it was in the neighborhood of $240 once it landed on my porch, with shipping and tax. It seemed a little steep for me, so this is what I did:

Looked around, and have always been a fan of Rigid Industries auxiliary LED lights, but again, they are spendy. Stopped into Tractor Supply and was pretty happy with the Traveler Brand LED lights they had in the store. Nice cases, very sturdy mounting, and seemed very similar to the Rigid lights. Decided to give them a shot and see how they would work. Heres what I found, and some advice if you want to try.

Scag has two bolts threaded into the front face of the operator control panel that the factory lights would mount to. I used those to mount my lights as well. It a good location, out of the way, and... the bolts are already there for you.

I used 2, 3 1/2" square LED pods for this add/mod. The Scag version gives you more of a horizontal set up, but I didn't have a preference to that. Scag has a ready to plug in wiring harness wire tied in place and ready to use sitting just under the fuel filter. You can use that connection point like I did, but you'll have to cut the harness off to use the non-Scag lights. Make sure you leave enough wire on the harness side in case you want to re-attach it sometime down the road. Or... just attach the leads to the battery.

In addition to the actual LED's, I bought a wiring harness install kit which makes this pretty much a plug and play operation once the lights are mounted and power is attached. I also bought a splitter for the lights, which is required if you are putting 2 lights on like I did (as opposed to putting a ingle light bar across the front) And, a different push button on/off switch, which mounts much more securely and has an illuminated face when on.

The hardest part about this whole install was dealing with the waaaay too much extra cable they give you. I think they want to make sure you have enough to install from you truck cab to the rear bumper if that was your application, so that makes sense. I got some splices and heat shrink and shortened the leads that were way too long.

The on/off switch was perfect for the place I was putting the button. If you look up and under the operator control panel on the V-Ride II, you'll see there are three already punched out holes ready to install auxiliary switches and buttons like this. You simply have to take a razor blade and cut away Scag's decal.

Again the Scag lights were $240.

These LEDs were $72, and with the install kit along with the different push button switch, the grand total was under $120... so less than half the price. They look great, and work great too.

bolts.JPG

leds.JPG

OP
Rostan Properties

Rostan Properties

LawnSite Member
How much do you mow at night?
None at all.

My eyes don't adjust from light to dark very well, its a condition. So, in and out of the trailer all day, it helps to see I'm not running over a rake that fell off the wall or a spool of trimmer line. I pull into the rig from bright sunlight, sunglasses or not, and I see glare on everything for a few minutes. There's that.

Also, one day a week I do a property, on my own, waaaaay out in the middle of nowhere that, when weather and conditions permit, I start as early as possible and definitely before daylight. I'll use them on that job, same as I did with walk behind.

And finally, as stupid as some people will say this is, and I tend to agree, I do a grocery store plaza that asked me to have the crew with reflective vests, cones out, hazard/warning lights going on the parked truck and... working lights on all rideable equipment turned on.

Thanks for the question! How much do you mow at night?

GrassManKzoo

LawnSite Fanatic
None at all.

My eyes don't adjust from light to dark very well, its a condition. So, in and out of the trailer all day, it helps to see I'm not running over a rake that fell off the wall or a spool of trimmer line. I pull into the rig from bright sunlight, sunglasses or not, and I see glare on everything for a few minutes. There's that.

Also, one day a week I do a property, on my own, waaaaay out in the middle of nowhere that, when weather and conditions permit, I start as early as possible and definitely before daylight. I'll use them on that job, same as I did with walk behind.

And finally, as stupid as some people will say this is, and I tend to agree, I do a grocery store plaza that asked me to have the crew with reflective vests, cones out, hazard/warning lights going on the parked truck and... working lights on all rideable equipment turned on.

Thanks for the question! How much do you mow at night?
Only during fall clean ups when we have to turn headlights to the yard because you can’t see the end of the mower. That’s almost a daily occurrence once we get to December and it’s dark at 6pm

kyfirewood

LawnSite Member
I got a price for the factory Scag LED lights for my new V- Ride II and it was in the neighborhood of $240 once it landed on my porch, with shipping and tax. It seemed a little steep for me, so this is what I did:

Looked around, and have always been a fan of Rigid Industries auxiliary LED lights, but again, they are spendy. Stopped into Tractor Supply and was pretty happy with the Traveler Brand LED lights they had in the store. Nice cases, very sturdy mounting, and seemed very similar to the Rigid lights. Decided to give them a shot and see how they would work. Heres what I found, and some advice if you want to try.

Scag has two bolts threaded into the front face of the operator control panel that the factory lights would mount to. I used those to mount my lights as well. It a good location, out of the way, and... the bolts are already there for you.

I used 2, 3 1/2" square LED pods for this add/mod. The Scag version gives you more of a horizontal set up, but I didn't have a preference to that. Scag has a ready to plug in wiring harness wire tied in place and ready to use sitting just under the fuel filter. You can use that connection point like I did, but you'll have to cut the harness off to use the non-Scag lights. Make sure you leave enough wire on the harness side in case you want to re-attach it sometime down the road. Or... just attach the leads to the battery.

In addition to the actual LED's, I bought a wiring harness install kit which makes this pretty much a plug and play operation once the lights are mounted and power is attached. I also bought a splitter for the lights, which is required if you are putting 2 lights on like I did (as opposed to putting a ingle light bar across the front) And, a different push button on/off switch, which mounts much more securely and has an illuminated face when on.

The hardest part about this whole install was dealing with the waaaay too much extra cable they give you. I think they want to make sure you have enough to install from you truck cab to the rear bumper if that was your application, so that makes sense. I got some splices and heat shrink and shortened the leads that were way too long.

The on/off switch was perfect for the place I was putting the button. If you look up and under the operator control panel on the V-Ride II, you'll see there are three already punched out holes ready to install auxiliary switches and buttons like this. You simply have to take a razor blade and cut away Scag's decal.

Again the Scag lights were $240.

These LEDs were $72, and with the install kit along with the different push button switch, the grand total was under $120... so less than half the price. They look great, and work great too.

View attachment 386502
View attachment 386503
Thanks so much for your detailed post and pics. I purchased the light kit from TSC as well. Works great! Glad that I saw your post!