Lawn Care Forum banner

Adding charging capability.

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  rixtag 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a Turf Tracer hydro 48 with a Kawasaki FH500v and a Lesco 36 hydro with a Kawasaki FH430v. Both pull starts. I've added lights and a battery to each. For the past few years I've been taking the batteries off and charging them on the weekend and then mounting them again for the weeks mowing. They are 12v 3.3ah batteries. What would it take to add the hardware to charge the batteries? Is it a simple bolt on and go or? Enlighten me please.

#2 ·
To start, the engine needs to be designed with a charging system; a stator, voltage regulator along with other pieces and wiring. To further understand, punch in the model/ serial numbers in the engine manufacturer webpage,they might have a similar engine with electric start to compare. Depending on the age / hours on the engine, not sure it's worth the cost. You might want to add a trickle charger to the units, which could be permanently mounted, then run an extension cord to charge batteries, saving the labor of removing batteries. Good luck.

#4 ·
A "Battery Tender" charger would be good because you permanently mount terminal connectors to the battery posts, but they are connected to the charger with a plug in style connector, so you can just pull up to the charger and plug it in. It is especially useful if you don't have direct easy access to the battery terminals.
I use them on my electric start dirt bikes because the batteries are under the seat, behind plastic panels, so you can't get to the battery terminals to charge them while they are on the bike.

#5 ·
The batteries are easily removed to charge them. I wanted to charge while mowing so that I didn't have to take them off. I don't have an outlet or an extension cord that will reach where I park my gear. Thanks for the advice anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.