. Adding Diesel to gas ?

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuel Forum' started by On a call, Oct 29, 2016.

1. On a call

On a call LawnSite Silver Member

Okay I purchased a tree sprayer. A older Bean f

It has on it a 65 horse V465D Wisconsin engine gas. Good strong engine IMO. It runs solid adn smooth but I have a concern. The valves are not hardened as these engines I think were built during the leaded fuel era. I know you can buy a lead substitute but it is nothing more than just a oil, something like Marvel Mystery oil.

So I was thinking of just adding a quart of diesel to a tank, 30 gallons of gas, in fact I have. I have ran it about 14 hours so far and it sounds and runs smooth.

However I wanted to hear what a mechanic has to say. Or someone that has knowledge.

JLSLLC likes this.
  2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Gold Member

It wont hurt anything .

JLSLLC likes this.
  3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I run unleaded with no additive in my old cars with no ill effects. I would not add diesel or marvel mystery oil. A lead subsitiute would be ok if your that worried about it.

Old engines had more power than they were ever run at and would build up a lot of carbon and the valves wouldn't seat, so they had a tendasey to burn. Im sure that machine will be working hard.

JLSLLC likes this.
  4. On a call

On a call LawnSite Silver Member

I run it at low rpm no where near full speed. At best I would say it is chugging at 30 %.

What amazes me is how well it sounds. I was also amazed at the price rebuilt units cost. They are nice units.