1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

adding employee ratio

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ronslawncare, Apr 30, 2002.

1. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

adding employees .how many accounts b4 you add a employee.i see a lot of crews that use 4 guys to cut a 100 acounts 4 days a week.so does that equate every 25 accounts that are makeing you bare minium of 30.00 a cut. add a employee .im still solo once in a while my cuz helps which is good enough for now,but how many acounts justifys adding a employee.i maintain 6,000 to 10,000 sq ft lawns .How about adding a truck on a second route.

2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

We mow a little better than 200 accounts per week. Small lawns 2 man crew most lawns 2500 -7000 sq. ft. Med to large lawns 7000 - 60000 sq ft 3 man crew. 5 men 200 lawns. avg 45 hours early spring 35 hrs in heat of summer per man per week. Cross the board avg approx $6K/wk for the maint.
    Small crew 1 - 21", 1 - 32", 1 - 36", 1 - 48" Stander 2 trimmers, 1 edger, 2 back packs
    Large crew 1 -21", 1 - 36", 1 - 48" stander, 1 - 52" rider w/ Peco Vac, 2 trimmers, 1 - edger, 2 back packs
    For days if we're behind, run optional third crew w/ 1 - 48", 1 52", 1 edger, 2 trimmers, 2 backpacks - otherwise this crew mulches, prunes, ladscapes and does all odds/ends
    1 man ferts approx 180 accounts 6 basic visits, plus fung, grub, aeration, renovation, etc...

Bob

3. wolfpacklawn

wolfpacklawn LawnSite Member

The # of accounts isn't important. I knew I needed to hire my first employee when I had more work to do than I could handle by myself. I first hired a guy part time for about 20 hours per week. On top of the 50 hours that I put in everything could get done. Eventually I went to 1 full timer and have continued to add employees(part and full time) as needed. I do a lot of the same size places as you do and I added my first part timer at about 35 accounts. I set it up to mow all the places in 3 days with my part timer and then did my misc other jobs for my customers on the other days. I hope this helps.

4. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I like to look at it this way .... using your own personal hourly rate ..... what your charge will change the weekly income .....but lets say it is $35 per hour

1 guy should be able to produce $1400 of weekly income (based on a 40 hr week .....work more ....you make more) so 2 guys at 40 hrs should be producing $2800 weekly ....n so on ....

you will notice on multiple crews or large single crews ....numbers will vary depending on the efficency of the equipment n workers

I should add that other numbers come into play when adding more workers ...(long as the work supports them) .... is that even thou direct n indirect cost rise .... most overhead cost remain the same ... n the added crews help off-set this overall cost ..... as they spread this montly expense out with added revenues .... thus adding more to the bottom line $

5. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

have two crews, maintan between 130-200 accounts weekly, 65-100 per crew, all depending on size biggest variable, not many lots over 10,000 sqf. maybe 12 over and have some that are a lot over but hit the average of 100 per crew, or size equivalance and a nother crew is started hoping to start the third by the middle of this summer and next year i will buy a ZTR
    AK Lawn