1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Adding trailer brakes?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by GLS, Nov 17, 2003.

1. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I am considering adding brakes to my 6x12 3500 lbs single axle trailer. With all of the equipment I have added, it is pretty much loaded to its max capacity. Although the truck handles it fine, i'm going through brakes too fast and I would like to be able to stop a faster in an emergency.

I would like to know how much it will cost to add brakes and what all is needed.

I was looking at northern tool, and they have 10" disc brakes for $110 (for one side:mad: ), but they appear to be hydraulic and I would want electric (right?) Either way, that price seems kind of steep.

Would it be logical to replace the axle with a new one with electric brakes? I was just searching and found this site. They have a 3500lbs axle with electric brakes for $190. That seems reasonable. I could also upgrade to a 5200lbs axle for only $60 more.

I would also have to add a brake controller and plug to the truck.

So what do you think?

EDIT: I found this on their site too (click here. Do you just add these to a standard axle with no brakes? What else would I need?

2. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Adding the axle that already has electric brakes would be the easiest, I would think.

Randy

3. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

call liberty trailer in ltttle rock ar
    a buddy told me he got
    loaded backing plates
    for like 45 a piece x2
    501-945-7679

if u think u need a 5200 lb axle
    u probly should be running
    a trailer with tandom axles