1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Additional services to charge for

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Go_Green_2019, Feb 14, 2020.

1. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Bronze Member

They even let you dispose of the old oil in the store. I put a tarp under the vehicles so there was no mess.

2. MowDaddy

MowDaddy LawnSite Fanatic

Lol, that's funny.
    We mow autozone here. $45 in and out 1/3rd man hr.

3. rclawn

It’s a good chain. I’ve always gone there for all my fluids and filters. Even when I need to “borrow” an odd size socket extension for a few minutes

Crazy 4 grass likes this.
  4. Crazy 4 grass

Crazy 4 grass LawnSite Silver Member

auto zone die hard fan here too!

rclawn likes this.
  5. Crazy 4 grass

Menards, auto zone, smart man! If you tell me you love chipotle I'll really be impressed lol

rclawn likes this.
  6. rclawn

It’s the only auto part chain (napa oreillys advanced auto parts) where the employees actually know how to answer questions beyond what the computer screen tells you.

Chipotle is the only place you can get a quick meal that isn’t frozen for not much more than what it would cost you to make it yourself. Besides QuikTrip that is the go to for lunch break. Some guys on here prefer their trucks to smell like smoked sardines... me, I keep a clean cabin

Crazy 4 grass likes this.
  7. Crazy 4 grass

Back to the OP. I'd say do whatever you are handy at or feel you could handle. Put the word out that you do other things besides your normal stuff. Even if you dont know how to do something, maybe you have someone in your network that does.
    I let clients know that I'm handy in general.

For example a homeowner asked me if I would give them an estimate on pouring a small sidewalk. I had never done concrete work before, but I called up a buddy who is a concrete guy. He helped me with the estimate. I got the job and then he came out and we split the job. We both made good money and I learned some new skills.

Just last week a different client called me up and asked me if I could fabricate 10 kitchen drawers. I took the job. I've never built drawers before, but I'm a decent carpenter.

For me, working outside the box is an enjoyable change of pace and an opportunity to hone new skills.

8. matt spinniken

matt spinniken LawnSite Senior Member

I think its a good idea to grow your business in the beginning but be careful of offering too many services as your business grows. Shrinking your service offering later on will allow you to bring in more profit per dollar of sales.

Just throwing in my 2 cents.

MILLC, hort101, Crazy 4 grass and 2 others like this.
  9. Manny Carlino

Manny Carlino LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Can i ask WHY you are looking to do these things, are you not able to sustain a living 12 months a year with your landscape company? How long have you been in business? You should be viewing all of your expenses and overhead that need to be recovered and charging accordingly. The biggest mistake landscape companies/contractors make is that they forget we may only WORK 9-10 months a year but need to LIVE 12 months a year and you need to charge that way. You do not have the be the BIGGEST guy or largest company but it is important to be PROFITABLE so doing less and charging more is NOT a BAD thing. Look at how you operate and adjust. Good luck.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I would add to this...what are your core strengths?

If you can't make money performing your core services, do you really think you're going to by branching out into something unrelated?

rclawn and hort101 like this.