Adjusting hydros on older scag walk behind

jaybow

LawnSite Bronze Member
Ok I have an older Scag hydro walk behind I just re powered and refurbished and I need to get the hydros adjusted to run evenly. Are there any tricks to the trade on this? I never ran the mower before I installed the new engiine, but the hydros seem very responsive, just not even with each other. I'm sure I can figure it out, just wondering if there is a technique to Simplify it, thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
Ok I have an older Scag hydro walk behind I just re powered and refurbished and I need to get the hydros adjusted to run evenly. Are there any tricks to the trade on this? I never ran the mower before I installed the new engiine, but the hydros seem very responsive, just not even with each other. I'm sure I can figure it out, just wondering if there is a technique to Simplify it, thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Kinda complicated to explain but watch out for wear in the parts that can create a problem. My WB has a knob that you turn for fine tuning. Just jack the unit up when doing the adjust so you can run it in place.

OP
J

jaybow

LawnSite Bronze Member
I got them adjusted pretty well, but they are so darn sensitive. IDK, I will toy around with it once I finish getting the wiring and operator presence controls and all of that set up. The main thing that's nice on it is having reverse. I will be curious to see what kind of cut it will produce, but I may still sell the machine. A swivel wheel sulky seems the way to go on a hydro walk behind, but I love my jungle wheels on my old Toro T-Bar belt drive. I wonder how well the hydro T-Bar works, because the belt drive T-Bar is great, its just the reverse issue.
Posted via Mobile Device

douglee25

LawnSite Senior Member
Also realize that any difference in tire pressure from one side to the other can affect the tracking of the mower.

Doug

ed2hess

LawnSite Fanatic
I got them adjusted pretty well, but they are so darn sensitive. IDK, I will toy around with it once I finish getting the wiring and operator presence controls and all of that set up. The main thing that's nice on it is having reverse. I will be curious to see what kind of cut it will produce, but I may still sell the machine. A swivel wheel sulky seems the way to go on a hydro walk behind, but I love my jungle wheels on my old Toro T-Bar belt drive. I wonder how well the hydro T-Bar works, because the belt drive T-Bar is great, its just the reverse issue.
Posted via Mobile Device
If it is a floating deck and 36" those demand a high price since scag elimated it.