Advance Payments - Deposits - Credit Cards

Which policy best describes yours?

• I never get a deposit or ask a customer to pay a month in advance. I do not accept credit cards or

Votes: 19 63.3%
  • I require all customers to pay a deposit or pay for a month in advance. I do not accept credit card

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I require all customers to either give me a credit card or bank draft, but I don't require a deposit

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • I require all customers to either give me a credit card or bank draft and I require all customers to

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I require all customers to pay a deposit or pay for a month in advance before I do any work. If the

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters

thill

LawnSite Member
Scheduled lawn service, pay one month in advance - credit cards OK

Landscape installs, deposit required payment due upon completion.

1MajorTom

Former Moderator
Depends upon what service you are referring to.

For lawn mowing - no advanced payments. Pay at the end of each month. Do not accept credit cards.

For fertilization packages we like prepay and give a discount if paid early before March 1st.

For anything that requires materials, we like to get a deposit before we purchase what we need. (Not talking about a yard or two of mulch, I'm talking about larger jobs.)

SodKing

LawnSite Bronze Member
Lawn programs - prepay or pay as you go

Mowing - billed monthly

Irrigation - turn on/ blow down = pay once at the end of the year

landscaping - 50% down/10%when 50%completed/remainder due upon completion

Plowing - billed monthly

Add on services - billed at time of service

Credit cards welcome (preferred for plowing since many clients don't occupy the house in the winter)

Cash welcome (what cash?)

Checks welcome

Maintenance i just bill at the first of the month, for that month. Landscape installs i require a deposit for work thats more than $2,000. So far, knock on wood, ive never been stiffed with this method.

impactlandscaping

LawnSite Silver Member
We bill after the month's services, take credit cards, and rarely need a pre payment / deposit for anything other than installs. Installs we get 30% down at contract signing,30% the first day our trucks pull into the site, and the remaining 40% net 14-30 days on completion without a pre arranged payment plan.