Advantage of a floating deck?

mneeld

LawnSite Member
Can anyone please tell me what the pros and cons are for a Scag Walk Behind with a floating deck? Any help would be greatful.

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
This will be debated until the end of time...but besides being easier to adjust cutting height, there is the 'theory' that a floating deck will scalp less, or perhaps less often. My take on the rhetoric around here is that larger cutting decks will benefit from being 'floating' beginning around 48" and larger. Let the debating begin!

Darryl G

Inactive
If you drive the mower into a pond it won't sink!

But really, as others have said the easy cutting height adjustment is a big plus for floating decks and less scalping...but if you know what you're doing you can avoid scalping with a fixed deck, especially 48 inches and under.

yardguy28

LawnSite Platinum Member
I'm sure everyone has there opinions on floating decks.......

I feel floating decks do not scalp nearly as easily as floating decks. they are also much easier to change the height of cut.

fixed decks maintain one uniform height through all contours of the turf. floating decks will follow the contours of the turf.

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member

Hawkshot99

LawnSite Silver Member
Unless the anti-scalp wheels are set properly you will still scalp with a floating. I wish I had gotten a floating deck over my fixed, but only because of ease of height change. I do not really scalp at all with my fixed walkbehind.