Lawn Care Forum banner

Advertising W/lawn Signs

2K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  evergreenedmond 
#1 ·
For those of you who use lawn signs (plastic, metal, home made) as a part of advertising what kind of success rate have you had with them? How many of them have mysteriously disappeared? For the price to get them made would you recommend it? Their fairly cheap.80% of my leads come from "word of mouth" and the rest come from a one line phone book add in the Yellow Pages. I'm looking to get more exposure in certain areas to tighten my routes and thought this would be the way to go.

#2 ·
Signs on my truck really never did anything for me, well one time a branch flew off and hit a ladies car she called me and was right beside me driving down th highway :hammerhead: Flyers are better in my opinion yellow pages seem like you would get to spread out of a client base meening your blades are not spinning.Not saying signs are bad but didnt work to great for me,Id actually try it again on my enclosed trailer but I park it at my apartments and they wont let you keep a company name on your truck/trailer.

#3 ·
Word of mouth is everything! Its also a good idea to let your accts. know that if you can get other accts. in the neighborhood you can give them all a discount. We still make our money W/ less drive time.Talk to HOAs sometimes they will post adds in their news letters $25 lawn mows can go a long way if they are next door to each other. Mow three an hr. thats $75.

#4 ·
I would recommend buying signs....just for the write off at the end of the year. LOL:laugh: I buy signs about every 2 years to put on a few properties, but I have never really had many calls...I have had some...you know....the ones you want the estimate right over the phone. I wouldn't expect much......Word of mouth works the best. But with the signs you at least give a little less back to uncle sam:usflag: :clapping:

#6 ·
I think they are a bad idea. First, they are too small to read from any distance. Second, they end up blowing down, or falling down and looking like trash in the customers yard, that ain't what they are paying for. Better idea, just offer an inventive plan to customers that refer people to you. Works great.

#10 ·
hackitdown said:
Can you tell me what you mean by decals? How do you get and use them? How big are they?
Well my phone number is about 4.5 feetx11"'s on both sides of my truck box and my name is on the doors fairly large, services are displayed under the extended cab window but smaller and website (even though I don't have it up and running) is over the front wheel well, a very fine font.

Mainly its the phone number, for power raking they see us working and its easily legilble to neighbours. I don't have pictures just digits and letters so its very cheap, $180 cnd for the entire job...

just a hint, I more or less designed my truck decal layout and if you use 11" letters they can cut it out of their 24" rolls with little waste therefore cheaper and I used the 3 year vinyl which is also cheaper than the long term stuff. I think I will put prices on the side of my truck soon. "Lawns Cut $15 bucks and up" something like that.

#11 ·
18"x24" inch signs work very well for our residental maintenance. Make sure they are easy to read, and get your number off of.

Ours read xyz lawn care
Take back Your Free time

Phone number

that's it, putting everything you do makes it hard to read...

#13 ·
J Hisch said:
18"x24" inch signs work very well for our residental maintenance. Make sure they are easy to read, and get your number off of.

Ours read xyz lawn care
Take back Your Free time

Phone number

that's it, putting everything you do makes it hard to read...
I had a bunch of them made one year and they all went missing. I may have got some customers but over all it was a bust.
I don't think competition stole them either just neighbourhood patrols trying to keep their neighbourhood tidy. I still see people using them though. This spring a guy put out a whole bunch of power raking signs at every single stop sign, 4 ways everywhere, my first thought was oh no I will lose some of my customers that I'm having a hard time getting to but the next day 9 of 10 signs were missing. They were nice too, two colours on white vinyl.

#14 ·
Heres a tip. Telephone poles. Ladder, washers, nails, Viola! The city/county guys take them down at the side of the road and intersections....they last a while and get word out. I dont use them in home lawns but have planted them at commercials with some activity, but the ones I put ten feet high so those chib county workers cant reach it without a ladder have worked the best.

One sign....one location this year...$2.50 got me five jobs in one sub. 35/ 40 dollar jobs.

Is on the pole across the street from the second ent exit to the sub. Been there a month and still there. lol

#15 ·
Killswitch said:
Heres a tip. Telephone poles. Ladder, washers, nails, Viola! The city/county guys take them down at the side of the road and intersections....they last a while and get word out. I dont use them in home lawns but have planted them at commercials with some activity, but the ones I put ten feet high so those chib county workers cant reach it without a ladder have worked the best.

One sign....one location this year...$2.50 got me five jobs in one sub. 35/ 40 dollar jobs.

Is on the pole across the street from the second ent exit to the sub. Been there a month and still there. lol
Yeah there is this sign on a pole at the exit light from home depot it's been there forever. it's for trash removal.

#19 ·
I only in received one call from sighns on my truck and it did not amount to any business. And i am still contimplating putting them on my new trailer but i do not think they will pay for themselves in the near or distant future. I have seen the signs that some LCO's put on property they service and this one gut acutally cuts around his own sign and leaves the grass tall in that one spot. :waving:

#20 ·
Killswitch said:
Homeowners dont want that junk in their lawn, they are just doing you a square by allowing you to do it.

Least the kinda jobs I have I wouldnt think of bummin the landscape out with a sign.

Homeowners association probably wouldnt allow it anyways.
I agree, plus I think it looks tackey. I don't mind the fertilizer company signs (they almost need to) but for anything else, when I see it, I think there is a cheap customer trying to save 10%.

#21 ·
anj said:
I Seen A Yard With On Of Those Signs In It And The Yard Looked Bad. I Wouldnt Want That Kind Of Ad.
I seen that too, some co. with a nice phat sign out front of a crappy looking yard LOL.
Personally, I think word of mouth does a lot more than those signs, but that's just me. As much as I dislike signage on the truck, I'd say if you're spending money on signage then put it on the truck and be done with it.

#22 ·
We use real estate type signs while when we are doing a large landscape or irrigation job usually leave it for a few days after we finish. When we install annuals we also leave smaller corrogated plastic signs. I buy about 500 a year & get quite a few calls out of them. All trucks & trailers are also lettered, I average 1 call a week off of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.