Advice for a plate compactor purchase?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Kubs Properties, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Kubs Properties

Kubs Properties LawnSite Member

We are a new company and are getting into doing hardscapes. I am looking for some advice on which plate compactor I should get or some advice on features/Specs?

thanks

2. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Senior Member

Most will recommend a big reversable unit but they are super expensive and not necessary if you compact in smaller lifts. A wacker 1550 or equivalent is fine for most patio and retaining wall applications. Once again just compact in smaller lifts and ensure you are achieving right compaction before moving on to the next lift.

3. Irace16

Irace16 LawnSite Member

If you’re going by cpci standards a 1550 doesn’t have enough compaction power, that said if your climate doesn’t have a freeze thaw cycle you could be ok if you do less than 3inch lfts

4. Irace16

Irace16 LawnSite Member

ICPI standards... dumb iPad auto correct...

5. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I have a big reversible and a small forward plate. Even my small forward plate hits at 5k lbs. If I was to get just one I would get the Weber CR 2. I just saw it at the Northeast Hardscape Expo. They made it just for this reason. It's reversible, hits at 5.6k lbs., has a built in wheel kit, and they make a polyurethene pad for it. https://www.webermt.com/US/eng/reversible-plates/cr-2-reversible/cr-2/

6. E-mans Hardscapes

E-mans Hardscapes LawnSite Member
    from Wi

Wacker 3050 is very versatile imo. Reversible with built in wheel kit. It’s a touch bigger than the CR2 but for probably half the cost.

7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

The Weber that is reversible is the way to go. Not only can it compact much deeper lifts, but it's SOOOO much more easy to use. Worth the extra money, IMO. Several years ago we invested in several of the smaller Weber non-reversible ones. And I wish we would have just invested in the reversible to begin with.

hort101 likes this.
  8. THIESSENS TLC

THIESSENS TLC LawnSite Senior Member

Dynapac makes a good tamper. I just purchased a used one for $600 a few months ago. Works great! I don’t see a need to buy a new one unless your using it daily...

9. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

I've had a dynapak for 25 years and it hits with 3800 pound of force and works great for walls and patios. Never any problems with the honda motor. Just keep your lifts to 3 inches. I know people with bigger reversible machines say they can do 10 inch lifts but I would never build that way. Using limestone based class 5 and a little water my base pads are tough as concrete.

THIESSENS TLC likes this.