Advice for a walk behind skid steer

Lyleow

LawnSite Member
I am thinking of purchasing a walk behind and was wondering on your thoughts between new and used. I am leaning towards a bobcat because it's in town and not 200+ miles away. Main question is if I pay for it up front will I be able to get a discount from the dealer(lower price, free attachments).

Going for a mid size model with bucket and the equivalent of a toro box rake. Let me know what you think it will run me altogether, thanks for your time

S-205

LawnSite Bronze Member
You're set on a tracked machine then? And not a wheeled or articulated machine? Deals come up every now and again on newer units with low hours that might be an option if you're in the middle, no warranty though.

OP
L

Lyleow

LawnSite Member
Got one for 3000 used well maintained service records and just needs new tracks about 50-60% wear on them and a oil/filter change. Taskmaster ramrod model 1150, 2005.

Impact-Vector

LawnSite Member
I bought a used one. Had a good few hours on it but it was built like a tank (Toro).
I can't say I see the cost justification of a new machine vs used. With under 500 hours you can find a ton of machines for less than half msrp.

Careful on the bucket size. Walk behinds have issues when you add a giant bucket and fill it up! And remember that the biggest downside is the ground speed. If your planning on going long distances you may need to rethink.. It's built for torque not top end!

P.Services

LawnSite Fanatic
that bobcat is a pile of crap. Seriously go run all of the brands for a hour each and i bet you will pick the ditchwitch. The SK650 is by far hands down the best track machine available. Arbor pro has a lightly used one for sale for a steal of a deal. I think he wants 14k

S-205

LawnSite Bronze Member
My ramrod taskmaster 800 has been very good to us the short time we've had it. Bought it off a retired landscaper with 600 hrs and its been really handy and reliable for this season. Stripped and painted it, got it for a couple grand with forks and a bucket, no idea on the year. Pictures are in my work thread if you want to see it. I couldn't justify a new one for the amount it gets used. I'd definitely ask around about other models like P.services says, GLS has an sk650, as well as other members.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
L

Lyleow

LawnSite Member
Hey I was wondering what's the most common problem these experience. Double checking this too but I maintenance air filters often(blow them out with compressor), oil filter and oil change and fuel filter every 100-200 hour? Greasing I'm familiar with but any other info is appreciated.

S-205

LawnSite Bronze Member
I"m always sure to watch out for hydraulic fluid, when I got my machine you could tell that a line had blown or was leaking in the past. So be sure that there are signs of leaking, if you have a machine with tires, be sure they're torqued because the skid style steering puts a lot of strain. Check the tracks for cracking or chunks too, I've never owned a tracked machine so I can't say.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
L

Lyleow

LawnSite Member
Appreciate the help you guys, thank you very much. Loving this website to be honest.