Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
installing an irrigation system for a house the has approx 1600sqft front 1800sqft sides and 3200sqft backyard. the way the driveway is arched around the front of the house and with all the beds we will be using a 6-8 zone system, 1 for the front, 1 for the treelawn, 1 for each side lot, 1 for the back(possible be split into 2 zones, yard is 80x20) and with 2 zones covering 3 beds. the problem is that berea, ohio has low water pressure b/c the systems are soo old, they have tried to raise the pressure and have broken water mains. any advice as to how we can make this more efficient and easier. we already have to use a mole or horizontal boring machine in 5 areas to get under the drive and a few sidewalks around the house.

16 Posts
use a booster pump.....easy to install works great.....hook it right to the city water line, run it with a pump relay off your master valve switch on your timer. we use them all the time.....

BTW....mp rotors are awsome we use maybe a 100 per week but the dont solve a low pressure problem only hide it and may actually cause different problems.....

Erik Green
owner Greenscapes of West Michigan

·
Registered
56,290 Posts
There were some old-fashioned methods of dealing with low supply pressures that can still work today. Besides the booster pump and low-gallonage heads, there are the heads that will function reliably at low pressure, and give good coverage. The positive aspect of low-pressure heads is lower operating cost, compared to a booster pump, and heavier coverage, compared to low-gallonage heads. The negative aspect of low-pressure heads is reduced spray distance. That means closer spacing and more sprinkler heads. Because they aren't as reliable as sealed-case rotors, I hesitate to include Rainbird Maxipaw impact heads in the low-pressure family (and they can spray further at low pressures than a sealed-case rotor) but there were times when they were the only effective solution for the (limited homeowner budget) money.

Because of their Rain Curtain nozzles, and manually adjustable stator, to alter rotation speed, I would consider a Rainbird R-50 ball drive rotor the most capable of effective coverage at low (less than 30 psi) pressures.

Or you could do the entire job with all-brass popup mist heads! Operation at 20psi :p

·
Registered
382 Posts
We have installed 5 systems in berea this summer along with doing the median infront of BWC and the schools you do not need any special design for berea just design given the pipe and meter at the house.

·
Registered
56,290 Posts
Lawn sprinklers at 35 psi static? And a 70 foot line of 3/4 inch copper feeding the house. With 35,000 square feet of turf to cover? Okay, I made up those details. But I have seen even lower pressures and longer supply pipe runs have to feed over an acre of lawn. Sometimes, if the pressure is too low, and the lawn too large, there aren't enough hours in the day to cover a lawn with a flow that leaves any pressure in the house.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Wet_Boots said:
Lawn sprinklers at 35 psi static? And a 70 foot line of 3/4 inch copper feeding the house. With 35,000 square feet of turf to cover? Okay, I made up those details. But I have seen even lower pressures and longer supply pipe runs have to feed over an acre of lawn. Sometimes, if the pressure is too low, and the lawn too large, there aren't enough hours in the day to cover a lawn with a flow that leaves any pressure in the house.
That's where you look outside the box isn't it? When the the pressure is low flow is low and the area is large, the professional in you finds a solution. Larger pipe, smaller zones, different day schedules, maybe even a booster pump, a storage tank/pump.

It just takes a little concentration and calculation doesn't it Boots? And when these folks get to be our age, they'll find the concentrating part gets harder and harder.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
jerryrwm said:
It just takes a little concentration and calculation doesn't it Boots? And when these folks get to be our age, they'll find the concentrating part gets harder and harder.
Of all the things I've lost...................

OUCH Jerry, You got around 15 years on me and I already feel the strain..........
But, I started stompin' sprinklers w/ pop when I was 5 or 6. Been threading pipe and making swing joints since I was 10......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.