1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Advice for seeding lawn in the coming fall in NY.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by grodri02, Apr 12, 2014.

  1. grodri02

    grodri02 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 6


    I live in Long Island, NY and I just finished a patio job and I was planning to seed a lawn now (going with a 15% KBG, and 85% tall fescue, NTEP seeds, 3500 SQFT) but now I plan to seed my backyard in late summer/early fall since its been suggested by so many people. With the patio project, my backyard was all cleaned (removed alot of weeds and crabgrass), brought in topsoil, and graded and now its all clean to seed a new lawn. My dilema is that from now till fall, alot of crabgrass/weed is going to grow. Im just scared that its going to look like how it was before the patio job.

    Should I just seed now and reseed in the fall? Or should I wait and just combat the weeds? I have a tank sprayer and a hose sprayer (the one that you setup a dial when you place your chemical and attach to the hose to spray) that I can use to spread Tenacity.

    If I wait to seed in the fall, I plan to use Tenancity now and possibly keep applying it until the late summer so weeds dont grow. Will this work? I also have 41% Glysophate for spot treatments if needed.

    Any suggestions is greatly appreiated! :drinkup:
  2. grodri02

    grodri02 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 6

    I also have a bag of Lesco 19-0-7 Dimension Crabgrass Preventer.

  3. RedSox4Life

    RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass
    Messages: 1,743

    If the area is bare and prepped now, just seed. Plan on having a fair amount of cb and weeds to deal with this year, and plan on reseeding in the fall.
  4. grodri02

    grodri02 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 6

    Another option I have is to hydroseed...by hydro seeding, do I have better chances of summer survival?
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  5. RigglePLC

    RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,727

    If, you are willing to water every day, and the soil is bare now--yes I would go ahead and seed; deal with the weeds and crabgrass that are likely to sprout any way you can. For instance you should consider Tupersan(siduron) --a costly type of crabgrass control--but it can be used even when you are seeding. Scotts sells it as starter fert with crabgrass control for new seeding. Since it doesn't last long--you should probably plan to follow up with a regular crabgrass control after the second mowing--follow the label directions. If you had crabgrass last year--you will have plenty of crabgrass seeds in the soil--just waiting for a few warm days so they can sprout (unless you use a preventative).

    It would be wise to get a battery-operated sprinkler timer--it greatly increases your chance of success.


    Also, I have germination from seed planted on April 1, 2014 in Michigan. The Growing Degree Days(Base 40) have accumulated to 154 in your area and only 93 in my area. You should be able to seed now with no problem. Seed is a little slower in cold weather--but your grass still appears sooner and you will
    avoid the heat and dryness that otherwise kills new seed in early summer.


Share This Page