1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Advice for starting a lawn business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by agureyev, Jan 8, 2017.

1. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

This is now bordering on the insane.

I gave you direct links to the CT tax regulations and you reply with "a friend told me this, so I'm good." and a link to a for-profit, bordering on generic, sales tax site and tell me to read that. What it tells me is that a Yoga teacher doesn't have to collect taxes, but a janitorial service does. Did you even look at it?

I gave you direct links to the same CT.gov site you were referencing, albeit the code specifically related to lawn and landscape services. You are focused on that Building Contractors guide ("a general guide for the proper treatment of sales and use taxes as they relate to the construction industry."), while not looking at the index and seeing that page 42 covers landscaping and hort and also ignoring the actual enumerated services that accompany it in the linked regulations.

Scroll down to "Landscaping and Horticulture Services", skip past the link to that guide, and click on the actual agency regulations link: http://www.ct.gov/drs/cwp/view.asp?a=1477&Q=269930&drsPNavCtr=|40829|#40952

If you really want to stay with the Building Contractors guide, you might leave that page 11 and head to page 42. http://www.ct.gov/drs/lib/drs/publications/pubsip/2006/ip06-35.pdf

So, tell me what I'm missing here, via this active since 1999 regulation:

(3) Also included in landscaping and horticulture services are lawn and garden services, such as weeding, mulching, fertilizing, raking, watering and mowing. For purposes of this section, the term ‘‘lawn’’ means lawns on both residential and nonresidential property, golf courses, and any other areas requiring mowing or maintenance. Lawn and garden services provided on a ‘‘casual sale’’ basis are not taxable. For purposes of this section, a ‘‘casual sale’’ means providing lawn and garden services to three or fewer residences per season by an individual who is not otherwise engaged in the trade or business of providing such services. (4) Persons engaged in tree trimming and removal are rendering taxable la​

(c) Charges by service providers. (1) Landscaping and horticulture services are taxable in all instances, whether rendered with respect to new construction or existing property, to industrial, commercial or income-producing real property (as defined in Conn. Agencies Regs. § 12-407(2)(i)(I)-1) or to property other than industrial, commercial or income-producing real property (as defined in Conn. Agencies Regs. § 12-407(2)(i)(BB)-1).​

2. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

Well, you are in Connecticut, have run an actual lawn/landscape company since 2002, have been collecting sales tax during that entire time, so I'm inclined to think you just might be right.

If anyone here operates in Connecticut and doesn't collect sales tax for your service to homeowners and commercial clients, please tell us what we're missing. Thanks in advance.

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Everyone should research this stuff for themselves. I provided a link to the DRS website for the OP to do just that.

The state of CT does vigorously seek out and prosecute those evading paying the sales & use tax, which is sadly very common in our business. If I had a nickel for every customer who told me they just left cash for their last guy and complains that I'm "charging" them tax...I just tell them sorry but I'm not going to face fines and jail time because you want to save $3 per mow :)

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Screw being an entrepreneur. The heck with building your own company.

Maybe he wants to work for himself, unlike you.

5. Mark Oomkes

LOL, the youngster is smarter than he appears.

grassmonkey0311 likes this.
  6. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MD/NC

Ohhh gawwwwwd I can't stop laughing

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  7. Mark Oomkes

So you're consulting in Connecticut, writing RFP's, helping with bids but you don't know there are taxes on services in CT?

I'd be looking for a new consultant.

grassmonkey0311 likes this.
  8. Mark Oomkes

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::drinkup::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

9. Mark Oomkes

Not sure if you knew this, but according to Abe Lincoln, everything you read on the Interweb is true and 100% factual.

10. Mark Oomkes

Maybe the interweb in Alaska is running 15 years behind the times. As is our esteemed consultant.