1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about enhanced efficiency fertilizers with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Advice for starting a lawn business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by agureyev, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

ok Mark, I think we get the point...you don't care for TPendagast or agree with anything he has to say

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Not true Michael, he does have some valid points. Just not so much in this thread.

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Operations And systems
    That's what I do.

4. TPendagast

Male

My point that I state was check with a CPA because you can't count on what the tax collection guy tells you.
    It's like asking the cop if it's ok to hunt in this zone.
    Which is why I hire cpas
    They tell me "have this much in the account" the check goes out
    Poof handled.
    That's what they do.

Having lived in CT for 30 some odd years
    I'm pretty aware of having seen countless bills and receipts not charging tax on service but yes on parts , materials and tangible goods.

Multiple places have conflicting information
    Which is again
    Refer to your CPA
    He/she specifically does this stuff for a living, so we can do our job.
    And that was my point,

I don't feel inclined to spend my time consulting on sales taxes and knowing those laws for each state I'm talking to someone in, when 9 times out of 10, they are already using a CPA or have an internal employee that does that and only that.

I'm a professional landscaper
    Not a professional tax preparer, accountant, lawyer or bookkeeper.

We don't have taxes at all here in this state, unless you do work in wasilla
    They've got a local muni tax.

5. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MD/NC

Um....no.....you do maintenance.

6. TPendagast

Male

Maintenance is only one aspect of the job.

I have not done only maintenance in well over a decade.

7. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Senior Member

.... the state leaves it up to you to either charge a flat rate and pay the tax back out of that flat rate....Or charge the sales tax "on top" of your "rate". Doesn't matter how you charge the customers..as long as you pay the sales tax on your gross deposits (after deducting taxed supplies/goods). They show you the 2 ways to charge & do the math right in the handbook.
    Some CPA s might not take the time to explain to you why its a bad idea to charge flat rate / or may not bring it up at all. Especially during tax season when they are swamped. They just plug in your #s and either assume you paid your sales tax through out the year (u pay monthly)...Or they add it in for you on your returns and pay the late fees?.
    Either way my #1 change next season is adding sales tax. (rather then deducting it out of my flat rate).