Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of questions for those experienced in doing renovations (aeration, overseed, fert, etc)

I am planning to do a possible overhaul of my lawn this fall. My turf sits on clay soil and I live in a newer development, not the best scenario. Right now, I have some dandelion population in the lawn, along with some clover. I have not had anyone do fert and squirt on the lawn this year yet, and I have only done one fert app on the lawn, in May.

My question is this...should I have my lawn sprayed first to eliminate the weed problem before before I aerate and overseed? Or will the herbicide have a residual that might affect a seeding?

Also, how would you recommend overseeding the yard? I do plan to aerate this hard clay in another month or so, should I just then spread the seed over the top? Slice seed? Topdress necessary?

I do not do renovations for my biz thus the reason I am asking, thanks!

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any takers on this one?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I would spray the weeds with a 3 way and some Quicksilver RIGHT NOW, wait a week, spray it again, wait 2 weeks and aerate.... then slit seed, and top dress with some soil/compost mixture. I'm no expert on clay soils though... but I think it's important to do the aerating, slit seeding and top dressing at the same time... same day.

As far as what are and aren't the best soil amendments for clay... I don't have any experience with it, but have heard how tough it is to get a solid stand of turf in heavy clay soils. That's all I got for your situation...

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks ******. Does quicksilver enhance the effects of the three-way? What are the advantages of using it in addn to a Trimec or similar?

·
Registered
898 Posts
I would wait till mid Sept. The weeds will slow down by then. ( if you have a thatch problem, more than .50 inch remove it first ) Aerate the sh#$%^ out of the lawn get at least 15 holes per sq ft. Let the cores dry then slice seed into the lawn in two directions. Get at least tow mowings on the lawn before winter sets in. Leave it a little long going into the winter and put down some winterizing type of fert to give the lawn a jump start in the spring. When the lawn is up an healthy in the spring you can attack the weeds. Going after the weeds this time of year makes no sense when they are going to die in a few weeks anyway.
Turfcobob

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Mid sept plug in 2 diredtions then broadcast seed good stuff put starter fert on and go then put winterizer on . Next year get the apps done and mow it tall all year. mid summer do a soil test then next fall you cut it short aerate in 3 directions and topdress or amend the soil based on soil test results no seed unless you still have bare spots.

You gotta get good gentics in your turfgrass population to get good results from fert and squirt apps. Also mowing is 80 % of a good lawn when it is hot and dry let it go. Plug every year in the fall and introduce newer varieties of seed atleast every 4 years or more. slice seeding is not neccesary unless you kill off the existing lawn completly

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
thanks ******. Does quicksilver enhance the effects of the three-way? What are the advantages of using it in addn to a Trimec or similar?
Being in MN, I stand by my suggestion... on LI in Zone 7, I would wait to spray a 3 way w. Quicksilver another week, but there are some bi-annual weeds, dandleion, others, that are still growing and will return next year if not treated now. Quicksilver helps the kill, and gets some weeds most 3 ways miss... wild violets, etc. I've also found that clover, oxalis and chickweed usually need to be hit twice for a good kill, or they rebound... and I mix hot....

Yes, Quicksilver works well with all of the three ways that I know of, including Trimec, and even Ortho stuff. Of course, always go by the label, and if in doubt, email the manufacturer. The time to spray bi-ennials is now, while they are still growing some. It probably isn't too late to spray most annual weeds, but if they have already seeded, it won't help much going into next year.

I am not a fan of broadcast seeding after aeration... I prefer to slit seed after aeration. Better seed to soil contact IMO. It will also help break up the pugs from the core aeration.

BTW.... after some confusion on my part (and others) dandelions can be bi annual, tri annual and some annual, apparently... so spraying now still is a better bet again, my opinion, as they are still growing, and that's when they are most easilly killed.

I think you should research some on soil amendments that work in clay soils. Aertaion is certainly very imprtant, but yearly amendments should help the soil to slowly but contuously improve. Wish I knew more about clay... but I have sandy loam here... a whole different ball game.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.