Advice on a 36" in Walkbehind

AsharperImage

LawnSite Member
Decided to take the advice of people on this site and begin my search for a 36" Walkbehind to pair up with my 52" ZTR. I'm figuring with the 36 I won't really need to use a small push mower plus I can mow with the 36" and 52" on busier days and or use the 36" if my 52" (which I bought used) ends up having any mechanical problems over the year. My questions are as follow:

Should I choose Belt or Hydro driven? (how much more should I expect to pay for hydro?)

If I get a Hydro am I able to use a stand behind it should I choose too? And if I get a belt driven is this not an option?

What brands should I be looking at and what prices are reasonable for a 36" Hydro? or for the 36" belt driven? (Husky, Exmark, Toro dealers are all very close)

Thank you.

I am looking to go with a new unit.

professional

LawnSite Member
I have a John Deere G15 (gear drive). I love it. It is 4 seasons old with 680hrs. I have not had to replace anything. Never broke down. I have the mulch kit on it and only mulch with it. I purchased it as a left over model for $2,700. You can use a sulky for both the gear and hydro models from Deere. The hydro is about $1,800 more than the gear driven. I've used the hydro and found it a bit less manuverable. I use the G15 for a lot of trimming and like to push down and lift up on the handles while in motion to manuver over and around obsticales. With the hydro, because of how the controls operate, it is virtually impossible to do so, you must just follow the machine.

Darryl G

Inactive
Hydro hydro hydro hydro. They are a good bit more expensive but worth every penny in my opinion. Exmark and Toro both have nice walk behinds...I've got a Exmark and it's been very good to me, although it's a 48 incher.

You can pull a sulky with it but might have to put a weight kit on the front if you're a big guy so it doesn't pop wheelies starting off and going up hills. Hydros are a good bit more but so much nicer to operate and more productive. I know you said you want new but you can often get a good deal on a barely used 36 incher...I see Turf Tracer HPs on here pretty often with low low hours on them. A lot of people buy 36 inchers and end up not using them enough to justify having them. It really depends on the size/type of lawns in your area.

I can't understand how anyone could say that a hydro is LESS maneuverable...did I read that right? You have infinite control (up to the max speed of course) of a hydro unit. None of this picking a gear and just going with it.

PTP

LawnSite Bronze Member
In 36" machines, I have run the Wright Stander, Toro Grandstand, Toro Walkbehind, and Quick 36. As far as the best overall package goes, I am planning on going with the Toro Walkbehinds in the future. It has a very nice cut, the price point is acceptable, the deck is adjustable, the weight is reasonable (maybe a bit heavy), the reliability is superb, and the controls are intuitive. I have the T-bar controls.

You will probably find some mower that does just a little bit better in any of those categories, but you would be hard pressed to find a mower that does better in all of those categories. It is an all around good mower.

LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnSite Silver Member
while I agree on the hydro........I will say that my Toro 36" belt drive was a great mower......bullet proof.......and pulled a sulky fine......with some frontend weight

LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnSite Silver Member
I am considering setting up a second mowing rig for a second crew.........initially it will most likely be a 36" mower......I like the Better products dual drive and the Toro......price is a factor until the crew proves to be productive......

OP
A

AsharperImage

LawnSite Member
OK... I'm sold! Someone help me find a slightly used toro/ exmark hydro 36" That was my initial thought and it's nice to here so many of you agree. I'd actually love to find a slightly used one (that's how I bought the 52" Z) however I've yet to come across one. Let me know guys. You all rock!

KS_Grasscutter

LawnSite Gold Member
I'm on my phone so your location doesn't come up, but there are LOTS of mowers on the kansas city craigslist. I'd love to find a 36" exmark turf tracer, but kinda have to see how much work I pick up for next year first.
Posted via Mobile Device