Advice on bidding process

Drivefaster35

LawnSite Senior Member
I have been doing fertilzing and pest control apps for a few years now and have grown quit a bit over the past two. For the longest time I just "guessed" on pricing rather than measuring and pricing according to what the application are requires and takes. Therefor, I would like to get more accurate on my profit margings and what not. I am not at all asking the "what do you charge" question I am only asking for suggestions on things such as X for 5k and X + ? per every k after that and/or discounts for larger properties such as X for first acre and X + ? per acre after? Any suggestions would be aweomse as I am serious about upgrading from my PG to a z-spray and taking on a lot more customers this year.

advanced irrigation

LawnSite Senior Member
Guessing is hard to do unless you always over estimate. if you are in a highly competitive area you will always loose the bid. Half of the work is getting the job.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
You are on the right track. You need a minimum price say for 5000 sqft and then a price per thousand.

However be rather careful you don't discount a big job too much. Suppose you quoted a big job at $100 per acre. Makes sense. Until...you discover your product cost is 1.20 per thousand and your labor and labor burden( taxes and benefits) is costing you another 1.20. And suppose for each 1000 sqft you covered last year, your overhead costed you about 25 cents. Then you would be losing about 15 dollars per acre.

humble1

LawnSite Silver Member
I have been doing fertilzing and pest control apps for a few years now and have grown quit a bit over the past two. For the longest time I just "guessed" on pricing rather than measuring and pricing according to what the application are requires and takes. Therefor, I would like to get more accurate on my profit margings and what not. I am not at all asking the "what do you charge" question I am only asking for suggestions on things such as X for 5k and X + ? per every k after that and/or discounts for larger properties such as X for first acre and X + ? per acre after? Any suggestions would be aweomse as I am serious about upgrading from my PG to a z-spray and taking on a lot more customers this year.
Do you see a big profit at the end of the year guessing? Do you know what your costs are per hour you work?
Sq ft price changes for me, how much do I have to push spread and habd spray, how much extra around pools and tennis courts do I need to blow off, so a 10k lawn with added diff can be more than the 20k next door. Also if its a poor lawn w lots of weeds they pay more than a pristine lawn. If they are outside my area they pay more as well. Get your financial house and profits in line before you try to expand
Posted via Mobile Device