Advice on Fertilizer Application Please

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by newbomb, Feb 13, 2005.

  1. newbomb

    newbomb LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 391

    I do smaller residential mowing up to 1 acre but usually less than .5 acre. I would like to offer fertilizer to homeowners this year. I only want to use the weed and feed type consumer grade granular stuff at the Home centers.

    I have a good broadcast spreader to do the applications. My questions are.

    What type of personal safety precautions do you use for granular type fert.? I wear boots and long pants and gloves. I was planning on a dust mask also. Does this sound right? Is it enough?

    I am thinking Spring and fall applications for otherwise healthy lawns. Is this enough? Is it correct?

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.


  2. Green-Pro

    Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,420

    Paul, may need to consider a spray treatment in between to nip things like creeping charlie, etc. in the bud. I also was thinking along the same lines as you and in talking with some other LCO's around here they all seem to be in this practice, that is they use the granular spring and fall with at least one spray app. in between. I thought about this as I really did not want the additional cost of sprayer, higher insurance. Weighed that against satisfying and increasing customer base and figured I'd adhere to this practice/schedule also, for residential yards I will see how I get by with a backpack sprayer for now and then evaluate my personal needs from there.

    Good luck

  3. GroundKprs

    GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,969

    Both of you need to learn about the required licensing first. If you had gone thru the licensing procedures, you'd know about the safety requirements in using pesticides. You cannot sell a fert/pest service in the USA without state licensing. (Well, you can. But if you get caught, fines can run into thousands of $$$$.) Check my post at top of this forum on licensing to get the proper contact for each state.
  4. jajwrigh

    jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN
    Messages: 1,405

    Jim's advice for you here is absolutely key! I went through all of the required training, certification tests and became licensed. I am amazed at how much more I know about this side of the industry now. Licensing is crucial for the applicator's knowledge, for satisfying the law, and for proof of meeting or exceeding insurance requirements.
  5. thomsoutdoor

    thomsoutdoor LawnSite Platinum Member
    Messages: 4,444

    I am in the process of getting my licenses in Maryland. Hopefully I will have it in a few months. I suggest calling the MDA and finding out about the courses they offer through CCBC. There is a total of three classes and are worth taken.
  6. Green-Pro

    Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,420

    Thanks guys

  7. student101

    student101 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 31

    just to get this straight you need a license to apply ( HD ) grass ferilizer to someones else's lawn for money just asking. I can understand the professional grade chemicals needing a license.
  8. Green-Pro

    Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,420

    In my state (Iowa) yes you do.

  9. GroundKprs

    GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,969

    Student, it is rare that a state requires a license to apply only fertilizers. However, most customers consider weed control (& insect or disease control) as a part of the fertilization process. And you do need licensing in all states to apply any kind of pest control (herbicides, fungicides, insecticides, rodenticides, molluscicides,...."-cides" of all kinds) when you will be doing it for hire.

Share This Page