1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bob's Lawn, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Bob's Lawn

Bob's Lawn LawnSite Member

The best lawn I take care of is this small house with a about 3/4 acre of lawn. I should also mention that the owner does not irrigate regularly. The lawn consists of 90% fescue and about 10% Bluegrass.

I say it is the best because it is the densest grass and looks fabulous. BUT (there is always a but) after the drought there is a lot of dead grass standing along side the new growth. This lawn has absolutely no shade and is my first lawn to turn brown in August. I hand raked the worst parts, small patches where the dead grass was matted down, but it needs to be de-thatched to get rid of it all.

I am considering telling the owner that we should aerate, dethatch and overseed.

My question is: is this the correct plan? The snow pack from the winter should push down all the grass and let new growth come up in the spring, but I would like to get it looking better sooner rather than later.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a plan -- Stan

But, you should dethatch, & rake prior to aerating:D

Bob

3. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

Ask the Lawn Grand father ,I mean Godfather.(Good One)

4. Hodge

Hodge LawnSite Senior Member

That would only generate the response to look in the archives....