Advice on Stihl power scythe attachment verses hedge trimmer

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Kevin Mitchell, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Kevin Mitchell

Kevin Mitchell LawnSite Member

Looking into buying a KM 131 R, the brush cutter attachment and add a more aggressive blade, the pole pruner, and either the Scythe or adjustable hedge trimmer. I'm wanting to clear a lot of brush and saplings in a heavily wooded area for hunting. I wasn't sure if the trimmer could be used like the scythe. Some of the area I'm going to be clearing is on a steep incline and like the length of the cutting head on the trimmer but didn't know if the scythe was more heavy duty and if the trimmer would work just as well as the scythe. Any advice on the scythe verses the trimmer attachment? Once everything is cut down I plan on spraying everything with Roundup Pro, then planting a few small food plots.

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

As far as I can tell the trimmer has a longer blade than the sythe, Id definately go with the "artulacting" trimmer. I have the brush cutter attachment with every blade sthil makes, it almost never leaves the truck, sounds like you need a brush mower.

3. JP in KC

JP in KC LawnSite Member

Just based on how they describe the power scythe head, it seems like it's intended for grass/weeds rather than woody stuff like brush.

For brush cutting rather than trimming like you would a hedge, I like the Beaver blade or an equivalent as long as you can avoid hitting things that will dull it--rocks, fences, etc. I use one on my FS 90 with the bike handles, and it'll go through small woody stuff like a hot knife through butter. I refer to it as my junior brush cutter.

4. Blainethompson

Blainethompson LawnSite Member

The power scythe works awesome on tall grass, thick weeds, dead weeds, and woody plants that are 1/2" - 5/8" in diameter. if you can get it between the teeth it will cut it and fast. you can also do it running the motor barely over an idle with that 131. BIG advantage to the power scythe, unlike the brush cutter head, what you cut stays on the ground, not on you. whatever you cut literally lays down rather than getting thrown all over everywhere. I love mine, granted I don't use it That much, but when it is needed, its a life AND time saver. the one draw back, its heavy and long, USE the shoulder strap or harness. and keep it away from chain link fence. blades are also pretty easy to sharpen with a hand file. ive had mine for 2 years and still have the first set of blades on it. hope this helps.

Kevin Mitchell likes this.
  5. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

The hedge trimmer attachment and a brush saw. Don't get the stihl brush saw, it sucks. Get the one with chainsaw teeth as it works much better and can be sharpened easily in the field.

6. Kevin Mitchell

I've never really cared for the bike handles because they're cumbersome. Do you think the unit depending on the attachment would bethat difficult to control without the bike handles?

7. knox gsl

I run my fs130 with just a loop handle and saw blade with issues.

8. Kevin Mitchell

I like the length of the adjustable hedge trimmer but do you think it would work as well as the power scythe running off the KM 131? I'm wanting to get everything cut as low as possible then spraying everything with roundup pro.

9. knox gsl

I've used my flex head Hedge trimmer for this application many times, works great.

Kevin Mitchell likes this.
  10. JP in KC

JP in KC LawnSite Member

I think that would depend a little bit on how much area you're cutting. For a small area, I don't think it would make that much difference. If I'm setting out to cut larger areas, especially stuff that might produce any kickback, I like the control of the bike handles and the weight-carrying of the harness.