1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Advice on WB vs. ZTR for 33K ft lawn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by cpa4t9r, Jun 4, 2008.

1. cpa4t9r

cpa4t9r LawnSite Member

Starting the process of determining my next mower acquisition.

I have a 2 acre lot, with ~33,000 sq. ft. of actual TTTF/KBG lawn. Two areas of fairly steep slopes and ~20 trees and established beds around house and natural areas.

Currently have a Cub Cadet LT1046 (46" deck) - takes ~1-1.5 hrs. to mow.

Neighborhood ranges from pushers to lawn tractors to full out Walker ZTRs. I love the stripes/manicured cut on the Walkers but the $$$$ is daunting.

My 2 goals are improve the cut/striping (I mulch) and save time.

Open to used commercial. Geographically, I have a Hustler, BOP (HQ in W-S), Scag, Exmark/Toro, Cub, Bad Boy and Walker dealers in close proximity - so selection is pretty wide open.

Was originally ZTR all the way, but have been intrigued by a WB/sulky combo - especially if the functionality is good and from a cost/value standpoint.

So far have been impressed with the feedback on the following so they are on the "wish list":

Hustler miniFasTrak 42 & FastTrak 48 new or MiniZ used
    BOP Quick 44 Samurai (local pickup!!!) Could a Quick 44 fit in back of a Burb?
    Scag Tiger Cub (dream)
    Scag WB (hydro)

If I got a WB, I'd keep the Cub for lime/spray apps/aerating & general duty. ZTR would be sole source.

Budget would be the $3,000 to $5,000 range but could go up to $6,000 for a ZTR if I could get anything for the Cub.

All the LCO that I've noticed have been a lot of Walkers, Exmarks and Scags.

I've read a ton of the postings, so I've tried to be as specific as possible (sorry for the long post). Appreciate any input.