Advice on what way to go with equipment (Stander vs Nav/Walker)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by turbo_, Feb 16, 2018.

1. turbo_

turbo_ LawnSite Member

Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I have a small business of about 24 clients, and this will be my 3rd year in business. I would like to hopefully get more/transform to more "high end" accounts where I can get paid a little more for the detail I provide (around here a lot of the high end residential properties are dominated by large conglomerates). I had people with large properties last year want to use me, but it wouldn't have made sense bagging with 21's on these castle like properties to make it worth my money/time.

Anyway my current equipment is two lawnboy 21's (one 4 one 2 stroke), and a John Deere Quiktrak 636m.

The stander is nice because it cuts fast and fits through most tiny residential gates I have. I am of the belief that sometimes if you buy the equipment that accomodates a specific clientele you can end up getting work in that area, so I am really looking into a Navigator or Walker. I used to use walkers at my old employer and I love the cut they leave and the ease with which they suck up leaves!

My plan is to sell one lawnboy, grab a 30" exmark or Toro and then use the Nav/Walker for everything where it fits (so I would have a 21, 30, and 42). I know the out front mowers cut at a slower speed, and at 42" minimum it will limit what clients I can take on but my logic is that I can take on properties that have larger gate openings, in nicer areas, where people will pay for that "look" of a clean bagged lawn. I could always buy a protero bagging setup for my 36 stander but I only see negative things about that setup on here, and quite frankly the out front deck mowers do a superior job come the fall. I am a one man show and leaf clean ups currently suck the life out of me using my 21's with bags on everything.

so what do you guys think? am I limiting myself by stepping up to a 42" machine? I mean I could always use the big machine out front and the 21 or 30 in the backyards? I would have to sell the 36 to grab the walker/nav and I am leaning towards the Nav since it is apparently more heavy duty, and I can get them cheaper used than any walker around here

thanks sorry for the long post!

2. turbo_

turbo_ LawnSite Member

noone? will having a gap from 30-42 in mowing deck sizes hurt me you think?

3. zraffz

zraffz LawnSite Senior Member

IDK... My smallest mower is a 48" walk behind. If it won't fit through your gate, I'm not interested.

turbo_ likes this.
  4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Gap?

Keep the current mowers you have and get a 48”

You can mow anything and everything with that

knox gsl, GrassX10 and turbo_ like this.
  5. turbo_

turbo_ LawnSite Member

I have to sell the 36 to get the 42 or 48

6. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Can you get a 42" into the majority of your lawns? If not I'd put a accelerator on the stander. Gaining six inches but having to walk a bunch of yards with a small mower sounds like you will not be gaining anything on your route vs using the 36 on everything. Walker vs stander, customers dont care what mower you use. Walker vs Navigator, look at weights of a nav and model S or C, I like lightweight mowers, when things are wet you want to be riding, not push mowing.

turbo_ and sehitchman like this.
  7. turbo_

turbo_ LawnSite Member

I can't even get my 36 into all my backyards. I have alot of small residential but I am hoping to get a larger mower to be able to take on larger accounts...I have also found a scag v-ride 48 that I could purchase and throw an accelerator on...I would just love a walker or Nav for cleanups and bagging..they practically incinerate leaves, and I feel like I could get some "nicer" accounts with a bagged look...Am I being ignorant? I dunno. I was reluctant to purchase my 36 stander but once I bought it the business came. Now I am feeling like if I grab a larger 42-48 deck mower, the business for that will come too

8. turbo_

turbo_ LawnSite Member

watched some youtube vids of the accelerator...looks like it does a pretty good job with leaves, though seems to leave streaks of em when going over larger amounts, and the accelerator isn't cheap either!
    damn...this is hard I have found a 48" v-ride new blowout for real cheap and a 2016 Navigator with 130 hours for the same price...thinking I'm gonna sell the 36 and pickup one of those, just can't decide which. Not too many threads on here comparing the bagging abilities of these two kinds of setups

9. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe find a used 32 and get a walker?

It depends on your area. I wouldn’t spend $10k+ on a mower hoping for the business to come. Most people are ignorant to wether you bag or mulch anyway.

10. turbo_

turbo_ LawnSite Member

hmm ok