Advice to Everyone

FosterGroundsMaint

LawnSite Member
I'm probably going to make some enemies, but this has to be said.

Here is my advice to anyone staring in business:

<b>Don't use the name 'Cutting Edge'</b>
This name is overused in almost every industry that uses a blade. There are hundreds and hundreds of 'Cutting Edge' lawncare's out there.

<b>Dont use cheesey names with a three letter word in front of -Cut</b>
Top-Cut, Tru-Cut and especially Pro-Cut are all dangerously overused. We need to get more creative.

<b>Don't design your own logo</b>
There is a reason that we are in this industry and not graphic designers - we aren't as good at designing! I used to design my own stuff, and it sucked. A good designer is a good investment. Most average people aren't as skilled at creating logos and selecting typefaces.

I'm not trying to make anyone mad, just pointing out some problems we have. <b>How do we expect to be remembered by customers if we all have the same name?</b>

FFMED74

LawnSite Member
No one should get mad at someones opinion as long as you aren't calling names or cussing at us. I have said things here that I would have like to have had back, but it wasn't mean, you are speaking a true fact. Too many people go with the easy route, I tired to do somethings that way, but now I am seeing the light and learning along the way. If someone gets mad, then it is their problem as long as I didn't do the above no no's name calling and cussing at you!
You said the truth.

mow2nd

LawnSite Senior Member
So is that all the advice you have? No cheesey name and don't do a logo.

I think there is more to the business than cheesey names and logos. To me the Name and the logo..........has nothing to do with business.

I dont think a customer is looking for a company who has the best name and the best logo. I think a customer is looking for a good service.

Hope I dont piss anybody off cause I know a lot of guys work really hard on a NAME and spend lots of money having a logo made. Sorry fellas, spend more time getting better at what you do.

GreenTurf

LawnSite Member
Originally posted by mow2nd
So is that all the advice you have? No cheesey name and don't do a logo.

I think there is more to the business than cheesey names and logos. To me the Name and the logo..........has nothing to do with business.

You should of stated that the Name and Logo........has nothing to do with your service and quality of cut that you provide, but your Name and Logo is a big part of business. You had said that a name has nothing to do with business, but if you don't have a name you don't exist.

crawdad

LawnSite Bronze Member
How about "A-1" for a name so that you'll be first in the listings? That's the tiredest one out there, but it probably does work, somewhat.
Crawdad

CNE

LawnSite Member
Well, I guess I fall into your category of cheesy but it's ok. You are entitled to your opinion. My company name is Cut-N-Edge Lawn Care & Landscaping. Not quite the cutting edge your were talking about but close. I didn't want it to be cutting edge. I think the name lets everyone know what I do and I personally don't see a problem with it. Like I said, you are entitled to your opinion and I'm not mad at you. By the way, I do have someone designing a logo for me. Should have some drafts in a week.

aquamtic

LawnSite Senior Member
Ok! Since my background is marketing and design- Maybe for the green industry a name and how it looks might not be that critical but at times one can benefit more from something that sticks out within reason. All day long while driving around I check out names and logos on trucks and whether its a towing company or landscaping, the name or image sticks. At times it sticks so well that I will remember it days later and try to locate them online just to capture their whole concept.

So yes a name or logo can set you apart but I wouldnt start grinding up a new name and hiring a designer for 150.00 bucks an hour.

Just my cuttin' edge 2 cents!

Aleman

LawnSite Member
Or how about AAA...or Jiffy Lube, how cheesy is that? Then you have Burger King...who the heck thought that one up? Roto Rooter?? I guess cheesy can work......

Expert Lawns

LawnSite Silver Member
If you want to stand out or be noticed, mow your lawns in a tuxedo. nothing wrong with that, and noone will forget you. far fetched? yea. will it work? yea

Top Forums