1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Advise on Bobcat ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by onestar, Apr 20, 2005.

1. onestar

onestar LawnSite Member
    from 6

New to the business not wanting to be full bore commercial and was wondering about the Bobcat ZTR's 52" with a 18 horse briggs. Is this a good mower and is this 18 horse engine enough to do the job? The mower can be had for $5000 plus tax. Any advise and/or suggestions welcome, I just can't spend much more than $5000 but want a commercial quality mower not the homowner versions, just mainly for my lawn and a few neighbors just to "justify" having such a mower. Thanks..

2. grasscutter

grasscutter LawnSite Member

I have a Bobcat 218 ES. It has a 18 hp Briggs Intek twin. It performs well but could use more hp. I was told by the dealer and some one at Bob-Cat that this unit was the same as the ZT-219, which is a commercial unit, with exception of the engine and the seat.

I have had it for two years and it has 300 hrs. The engine has used a small amout of oil since day one.

3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

The ES was intended for homeowners but, I believe it intimidated them because It's the same size as all the others except for the lack of a suspension seat and the engine. Then comes the LEO. I don't know about the big one but, that little one is NOT for ANY commercial use in my opinion. If it means anything, the dealer I used to work for had a brother that used an 18ES in his operation. I didn't notice any problems while I was there.

4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Bob-Cat makes a very good mower but no 18HP is not enough for a 52" deck really and I would for sure stay away from the Briggs motor if it is the Intek line. If it is a B&S Vanguard then that is an outstanding engine, but not the Intek line.