Advise please, John Deere or Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by surv, Apr 16, 2018.

1. surv

surv LawnSite Member

I plan to buy a mower soon and would like some advise on a couple mowers im looking at.

After looking at quite a few different brands and price ranges I think i like Grasshopper and John Deere the best. To me they seem like very well built machines. So the mowers, primarily looking at a John Deere Z915E and a Grasshopper 225V.

Things I like about the Grasshopper is the hydros, the Parker system they are using are supper smooth. Also very nice quality throughout the mower.

Things I like about the John Deere. Initial impression of it I was very impressed with the quality and ergonomics of it. Its built very well from one end to the other as far as i can tell. Fit and finish its probably the best ive seen.

These two mowers are about the same price and same size mowers so kind of an apples to apples comparison.

There area couple other mowers im looking at that area bit cheaper. One is a used Wright Stander with low hours and the other is a Grasshopper 125v. The Wright seems like its solid from top to bottom. Nice mower imo. The Grasshopper 125v is nice but it has a little smaller wheels than the 225 and the seat is a little lower. In general its smaller than the GH 225v but still built with quality motor, hydro's, deck ect.

Over view, Im trying to decide if I want to stand or sit and Grasshopper or John Deere.

Thank you for any advise or comments on experience or quality of the mowers.

2. surv

surv LawnSite Member

Still looking at the GH and the John Deere but I'm looking at two more mowers that are a little less money. I think they are in about the same class as far as size and quality, let's just consider them the same price.

First is a Big Dog Stout mp and the second is a Ferris is700z. Any advise or opinions on either of these two mowers?

Thanks

3. surv

surv LawnSite Member

I bought the John Deere Z915E

13Razorbackfan likes this.
  4. 13Razorbackfan

13Razorbackfan LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry just saw this thread. Good choice. You'll be happy I own a couple 900 series mowers but I mow commercially and I love my 915e

surv likes this.
  5. River

River LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Wisconsin

The 915e is the best bang for buck full commercial mower out there. You’ll like it. I just have the 930R which has more bells and whistles

surv likes this.
  6. surv

surv LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. I have to admit I under estimated how much grass this thing will mow, it's a serious machine.
    It will take me a little getting used to coming from smaller mowers but I think I will really like it.
    The controls on this mower are quite sensitive. When mowing with it there is no sawing the handles back and forth or the ground is completely tore up. If I operate the controls with a little bit of finess it really steers nice.

13Razorbackfan likes this.
  7. surv

surv LawnSite Member

I ended up taking the Ztrac Z915E mower back to the dealer and getting a John Deere Quiktrac 648R. The Ztrac is an awesome mower and will really cut a large amount of grass in a hurry but its not what I need. My yard has to many hills and to much stuff to go around for a big sit down zero turn.
    Like about anything its a compromise. I gave up some of the comfort and mowing capacity of the sit down for a stander with a little more agility around obstacles and hills.