1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Aeraotors good on hills?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wasuellc, Apr 20, 2002.

1. Wasuellc

Wasuellc LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have an old Lesco aerator, and it stalls on a slight incline. Can any one recommend a machine that works on hills?
    Thanks
    wayne

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Does yours have an oil alert on it? If so, that is whats doing it. Not getting oil when on a grade. I very slightly overfill my aerator I use on hills with a SAE 30 and this eliminated that problem.

3. Big G

Big G LawnSite Member

I use a Ryan Lawnaire V & it too is slightly overfilled on the oil. I have no problems with it on hills.

The only problems I have is not killing my back every time I aereate a large property.:p

4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Like Hoss said look for a wire on the front of the motor that has a quick connect, just unplug it while working on hills.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

True Ray, I did forget to mention that. Mine did not have a quick connect so I put one in just in case I needed it. Although, since I overfilled the oil slightly I haven't really had any problems since.

6. Wasuellc

Wasuellc LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Thanks for all the help. Can anyone reccomend a good aerator for the hills?

7. For a w/b look at the Ryan V . It has a wider aeration width plus a wider drum for stability. About $2600 with a honda.

8. AndyL

AndyL LawnSite Member

Speaking of which...

Why is it the Ryans 4/5, with the Honda engine, Cost exactly the retail price of the honda engine more... Does Briggs give ryan a big kickback for replacement parts usage or something? :confused:

I called around to a bunch of dealers a couple weeks back, and they all pretty much had the same price for the ryan 4 with the honda and without... And they almost had the same price for just the ryan engine...

Andy

9. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Be careful aerating on hills. A couple of weeks ago, I almost badly mangled my foot when I slipped going down a hill, and it went into the aerator tines.
    I am a very lucky guy to still have my foot.