aerate now???

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by americanlawn, Sep 2, 2013.

  1. americanlawn

    americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest
    Messages: 5,955

    No rain to speak of for three months. (heaviest rainfall = 0.20 inches)

    Lawns are dormant at the very best, and soils are rock hard. Long range forecast ain't good either.

    Even our Exmark stand-on is lucky to pull 1" plugs.

    Do you suggest better than land grant universities? Curious. ??
  2. Service 1st Lawn Care

    Service 1st Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 643

    Less then 3 inches here in 3 months, can't wait to try the our new Toro ride on. I like the upgrade to the larger foot plate much nicer then the the LS models.

    Need rain soon still have 2 applications of lawn care to do, plus 123 aerations scheduled so far. Come on mother nature
  3. Smallaxe

    Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 10,082

    Leave it alone until conditions are correct... I won't plug at all if I can't get decent full length plugs...
  4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

    DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 9,292

    Larry I wouldn't do it.
    Gotta have some rains first. And you guys are far worse off than here drought wise.
  5. RigglePLC

    RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,800

    I would rather apply seed than punch holes in hard dirt (if 1-inch is a hole). When rains come the seed should germinate.
  6. White Gardens

    White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,776


    We are under contract to do some aerations by the first of October. We're waiting until not only the weather finally cools off, but at least two good rainfalls to help pull plugs.

  7. americanlawn

    americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest
    Messages: 5,955

    Total DITTO with what you just said. Thanks buddy. :usflag::canadaflag:
  8. americanlawn

    americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest
    Messages: 5,955

    Way to go -- other outfits will try to pull 1/2 inch plugs and leave a bill. I don't care if we have to aerate in December. But when we do, we will point out that "we waited" for the right conditions. Then folks will "jump ship" and realize who the real experts are. "Half inch outfits" are just in it for the money. Trustworthy companies will survive when "others" will get what they deserve.

  9. foreplease

    foreplease LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,062

    I have not weighed in because you have answered this yourself (correctly) several times on these forums. I can only add that we had your kind of drought last year and it was miserable. Of course the casualties taken made aerating and seed both more important but nothing sensible could be done with unirrigated turf until the weather broke. Fortunately we had great growing conditions in Fall with good recovery possible for those who timed things well (or were just persistent).

    Sometimes profit margins have to take a back seat to what works and is needed.

    I believe some of the deep tine/core equipment could still work but that is not practical for lawns. Things will turn around. All you can do is be ready.
  10. turfcobob

    turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 878

    wish I could send you some rain.. Here in AZ we are having more rain than they have seen in years. We even have mosguitoes, beleive that. I would wait till you get rain best to do it right and place less wear on you new unit. It would be good for weight loss bouncing up and down all day.. just kidding..
    Dry ground just kills aerators, all of them. Dry ground is what we used at ryan to test for durability of the drive train because it does so much damage.

Share This Page