1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Aerate VS Slice Seed

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by weekendDIY, Sep 16, 2004.

1. weekendDIY

weekendDIY LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have been great advice from everybody here but the one thing that I get that seems different is some tell me to slice seed and some tell me to aerate and seed. Does it really matter which I do? Is one better than the other? Do they both take about the same time to do?

2. rbeitz

rbeitz LawnSite Member

I plan to overseed my lawn next week. I too am confused as to the best method. Rent the slice seeder or aerate and then spread the seed? I also plan to spread fertilizer and lime. Any advice from you pros would be great.

Thanks!

3. I-Hawk

I-Hawk LawnSite Member

I'll pile on here as well.

My sod is about 4 months old now (placed May 29th), and is doing well. I know the benefits of aerating, but would it be worth it on a lawn as new as mine? It has had minimal traffic on it, so compaction shouldn't be a big issue at this time. Other than helping with seed and fertilization, would aerating now be a waste of time and would it do more harm than good?

Thanks.

4. jsmonroeCT

jsmonroeCT LawnSite Member
    from CT

I just aerated my lawn and spead about 75 pounds of perenial rye with a rotary spreader (didnt have a lot of time coming up on the next couple of weekends to reant a power seeder). However, if I could do it again, I would aerate, which helps reduce compaction, and then seed with a powerseeder. If you have the chance, rent one - your will have better soil to seed contact.

After you seed, water, water and water.

Good luck.