Aerating AFTER Overseeding

JawT

LawnSite Member
How about: 1) mow low-ish, then 2) throw down seed, then 3) aerate?

It’s not likely that seeds would fall into core holes anyway, but this process would 100% prevent that. And rolling the aerator over the lawn and pulling cores to the top would increase seed-to-soil contact. Especially once the cores break up. It’s maybe like a 5-10% topdressing effect.

Any reason why you guys do or don’t like this order of tasks, or any specific results you’ve ad with it?

Freaky Fido

LawnSite Bronze Member
I have always aerated first. Maybe it's just a habit of preparing the soil and then seeding it.

It's actually around the edges of the plug holes where I've observed much of the seed germination. But I would expect similar results no matter what order you do it in. I've heard that some will actually aerate both before and after seeding.

Love the Green Biz

LawnSite Fanatic
I've always aerated first then seeded. I think I will try the other way just as an experiment.

I'm running a Turfco XT-5 and am thinking I should have bought the XT-10 with the seeder attachment-especially since I am getting larger HOAs to use my service rather than the regular maintenance company.

I've done multiple small areas and over seeded an a large 2 acre area around a detention pond to great effect.

Problem is I'm old and the XT-5 is a workout for me-the XT-10 is a rider.

The results aerating and over seeding with Branch Creek Evolution seed speaks for itself:

Before after a water main repair...

75 Buckthorne.jpg

After 3 weeks...

75 Buck after.jpg
75 Buck after2.jpg

Love the Green Biz

LawnSite Fanatic
When using a Classen aerator I have made one pass, spread seed and then aerate again.

With BillyGoat reciprocating aerator I make one trip and then spread seed. Have been getting great results with the BillyGoat although the sample size is small.
Hi Steve!

I like the Billy Goat-I rented one a few years ago and it was easier than the Turfco. But Turfco made me an offer I couldn't refuse! I paid $3880 for the XT-5.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Hi Steve!

I like the Billy Goat-I rented one a few years ago and it was easier than the Turfco. But Turfco made me an offer I couldn't refuse! I paid $3880 for the XT-5.
Hi JR!!

Good to hear from you.

I purchased a used machine. It is great on level properties but very difficult to manage on slopes since it is a single hydro.

OP
J

JawT

LawnSite Member
I've always aerated first then seeded. I think I will try the other way just as an experiment.

I'm running a Turfco XT-5 and am thinking I should have bought the XT-10 with the seeder attachment-especially since I am getting larger HOAs to use my service rather than the regular maintenance company.

I've done multiple small areas and over seeded an a large 2 acre area around a detention pond to great effect.

Problem is I'm old and the XT-5 is a workout for me-the XT-10 is a rider.

The results aerating and over seeding with Branch Creek Evolution seed speaks for itself:

Before after a water main repair...

View attachment 457762

After 3 weeks...

View attachment 457763View attachment 457764
Wow that looks great!

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Aerate first or after?
This is very difficult to prove one way or the other.
Are you going to count the number of seeds that emerge on one sqft?
Has anybody ever aerated half the yard before, and the other half after seeding?

We are waiting, Turfco. Get pictures.

OP
J

JawT

LawnSite Member
Aerate first or after?
This is very difficult to prove one way or the other.
Are you going to count the number of seeds that emerge on one sqft?
Has anybody ever aerated half the yard before, and the other half after seeding?

We are waiting, Turfco. Get pictures.
I’m going to do this with my own yard this fall and then again in the spring. I have an area that needs a lot of work, so why not experiment with it. I’ll take pics and vids

Top Forums