Aerating the larger properties quickly and making good margins

sagesove

LawnSite Senior Member
@mowerman41

Definitely not getting anywhere near edges. Almost like they are scared to use the machines for what they can do. Watched guys make a single pass along the curbside boulevard turf that is almost 5 feet wide. That leaves like 20+inches on either side of the aerator of un-pluged turf because they just did a single pass down the middle.

Literally leaving a 4 foot path circumference un-aerated around trees, bushes and every other obstacle. Lifting the tines like 3 feet before getting to the concrete edges or sidewalks or driveway. Completely uneven rows back and forth. Means not leaving uniform plugging rows. Single wimpy pass and thats it. Pulling half inch or less divot turds. Not knowing how to turn and aerate and leaving dead grass and dirt swirl marks in turns. And tore up yards. Also it is wayyyy to dry to aerate without deeply wetting the soil(hence the divot turd plugs which do nothing for the lawn).

Like I stated I watched multiple companies doing this. Really mucking up our industry.

mowerman41

LawnSite Senior Member
@mowerman41

Definitely not getting anywhere near edges. Almost like they are scared to use the machines for what they can do. Watched guys make a single pass along the curbside boulevard turf that is almost 5 feet wide. That leaves like 20+inches on either side of the aerator of un-pluged turf because they just did a single pass down the middle.

Literally leaving a 4 foot path circumference un-aerated around trees, bushes and every other obstacle. Lifting the tines like 3 feet before getting to the concrete edges or sidewalks or driveway. Completely uneven rows back and forth. Means not leaving uniform plugging rows. Single wimpy pass and thats it. Pulling half inch or less divot turds. Not knowing how to turn and aerate and leaving dead grass and dirt swirl marks in turns. And tore up yards. Also it is wayyyy to dry to aerate without deeply wetting the soil(hence the divot turd plugs which do nothing for the lawn).

Like I stated I watched multiple companies doing this. Really mucking up our industry.
I appreciate the response. I have seen a lot of that also. I have been in business 15 years (sole) with 40 accounts. The last 8 years I have been renting a toro ride on aerator and lining up all my work in 1-2 days. I retire from a 20year career in law enforcement in a couple of weeks and next year I think I am going to pull the trigger and get the Stinger 3000 with the seed box. I had so many people stopping me as I was aerating wanting me to take care of their house also, but I had to decline because I only had the rental for a day or two. I figured bite the bullet and buy the stinger then I can get more into aeration. The price at the dealer closest to me was
$13, 200 with the seed box.

GravelyGuy

LawnSite Silver Member
I make more money per hour with my Stinger 3600 than any other piece of equipment, but 600 per hour might be sticking it to the customer for this service. I mean clearing that with a bunch of little ones then ok, but the bigger ones need a price break.

Toro44

LawnSite Senior Member
I make more money per hour with my Stinger 3600 than any other piece of equipment, but 600 per hour might be sticking it to the customer for this service. I mean clearing that with a bunch of little ones then ok, but the bigger ones need a price break.

Maybe he should ask the forum what they think he should make next time. Guessing the answer would be $60 an hour lol.

Top Forums