Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am somewhat disappointed in the results of my aeration advertising this year. I have put out fliers (the nice full color Ryan fliers I purchased from the company), have a radio ad running 5 times a day, and put out street signs. So far my calls for estimates have been not so great. In talking to current clients that I have been trying to sell to, I hear a lot of "My lawn looks pretty good this year. I don't really think I need that." With all the rain and good weather we've had around here, for a change, most yards are doing pretty good. In years past, even before I offered the service, I've always gotten unsolicited calls for the service out of the blue. Not so much this year. I'm pretty bummed about it, reconsidering my advertising methods (although I'm not sure what else I can do besides TV!). I am wondering if the good conditions are keeping folks from interest in aeration?

· Banned
9,111 Posts
I don't know what the literature looks like that Ryan puts out, but does it inform the benefits on aeration? Possibly even call up the customers and tell them the benefits of the aeration. Sometimes it is better to hear it from you than from a brochure

· Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Ryan flier is really nice, and goes into detail about aeration, with pretty simple terms. I've actually had pretty good luck with my current customers getting them to do aerations, far better than last year. And the personal pitch does work, but like I said I've got more than a few "I don't need that"s. What's bumming me out the most is in getting outside work. Maybe the recession factors in a bit, too. I just think the good weather and stuff this year is dampening the whole 'improve your yard in the fall' momentum.

:confused:

· Registered
907 Posts
" Your lawn does look great. I can help keep it that way into next year by doing an aeration for you this fall. It's beneficial for a lawn to do it every 2 or 3 years. It is like advance preventative medicine. And if we do it with the fertilizing, the fertilizer is more effective giving you a better result for your dollar."

· Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I give 'em that spiel too. I've got a whole list of things to use to sell folks on. Lots of people are still not interested. It's not so much the people I know, it's getting the outside customers I don't already work for. Getting their attention and convincing them of the need for the service.

· Banned
1,818 Posts
With your regular customers, include it as part of the lawn service. Charge for it ofcourse. Just make routine as part of the service.

We do all ours annualy this time of year. No if's and or but's about it.

Integrate it into your fall seeding procedure

· Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by GLAN
With your regular customers, include it as part of the lawn service. Charge for it ofcourse. Just make routine as part of the service.

I've always wondered how people got away with pushing extra services besides mowing. I am not sure how it would go over with my customers if I were to say "If you'd like me to mow your lawn this year, you also HAVE to have aeration, fall clean up, monthly edging, and 2 other services that will push your monthly bill up by $100." I can imagine it wouldn't go over too well.

And for those that missed the point, I have been unsuccessful in selling aerations to people other than my customer base. I wonder if it is because of the nice weather this year, and the good conditions of the lawns right now vs how bad the lawns have looked the last few years with the drought.

· Registered
7,232 Posts
I just posted this on another thread....

There are several successful aerating businesses in my area. All they do is just core aeration and de-thatching. And some of them make a pretty good living at it. I have a friend who owns one such company. Here's how they do it;

They have a guy who puts out a few hundred flyers (bright, neon color door hangers) every day with, "Neighborhood Aeration Tomorrow!" in big bold print at the top of the flyer. Then, below, the flyer says, "We'll be in the neighborhood aerating lawns tomorrow. The cost to aerate your front lawn only is $______. The cost for front AND back lawn is $______. If you'd like us to aerate your lawn, please leave this flyer, along with a check made out to AAA Aeration on your garage door tomorrow. We will come by and do the work before 5:00 p.m. tomorrow."

And that's it!

They typically aerate 20+ lawns per day with that method. Their prices are pretty cheap (half of what I charge for aerating). But when you line up 20 or more in one day, all in the same neighborhood, that's good, instant money!

So that's how the pros do it. Take it for what it's worth.

· Registered
537 Posts
Jim,

We've done that same thing w/ pressure washing. "Neighborhood Offer" or "Neighborhood Special". The price is lower, but it's made up in volume. Cookie cutter subdivisions are, of course best.

$100 is tough to say no to, when your house is dirty. Line 10 up pretty easy.

· Registered
14 Posts
I have had the same problem this year with the weather. I have some really great flyers that I normally get a good response from.
I even went out myself yesterday and put out a couple hundred flyers and I would say the majority of the lawns looked great compared to last year.
Something I'm going to try this week is sending a card to a bundle of my customers and offer 25% off their next aeration service for each referral they send me that gets their lawn done. If they give me 4 referrals then I'll do theirs for free next time.
I've done this promotion one other time and I picked up several new customers.

Jeff
Hole in 1
Lawn Aeration

· Registered
2,797 Posts
We are having the same problem this year..last year we got a good number of calls from non customers...plus most of our regular customers wanted it done. Not so this year. In our area, I'm convinced that the reason we're not, is because we have had soooo much rain this year and all the lawns LOOK good...but ...as I try to tell people, green, thick grass on top, does not necessarrily indicate a healthy turf and root zone....then they look at me like I'm from Mars. I just sent out an article that I saw in Lawn and Landscape Magazine (yes I footnoted it in my mailing) that is a great explanation of what core aeration is and what its necessary...and here's the good part for those of us who have had so much rain....it mentions that in a rainy season, the ground is even compacted MORE, because of the precipitation further compressing the soil.

If you can't find the article on their web site, send me a private email and I'll email you a copy of it. The magazine it was in is at least a year old but I didn't keep the issue date when I copied the article. Maybe they have a Search feature on their website.

· Banned
2,420 Posts
Originally posted by GLAN

I'm gradually incorporating this type of procedure into my business.
I'm finding out if you don't include needed services they let you go because basically the lawn isn't being kept up.

I nearly lost a big account this spring because the lawn got to looking so bad. Sure they'd been refusing "add on" services for years. But they didn't remember that when they about fired me.

I think it's going to be better to have a comprehensive lawn care program to sell than it was to always try to "upgrade" an existing just-mow-the-lawn agreement.
At least they'll quit behaving like I was trying to pick their pocket or something.

Dave

· Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by TotalCareSolutions
where did you get these? Sounds like a cost effective color brochure.
From Ryan. I think they were 5cents each or so.

I started doing phone calls last night to the people that haven't signed up for it yet, using all my charm and best salesmanship. Not a whole lotta luck. People are pretty convinced that their nice green lawn now will last forever, and quickly forget that their yard looks like crap when it's not raining so much.

:mad:

· Registered
115 Posts
i know it varys by area but what are you guys chargeing to do aerations. i am finally decideing to strike it out on my own. ... got tired of working ofr my old man. cuz the idea was use the aerations at the start of the season as a hook to get some more mowing customers this year. also offering them some kinda discount on the aeration if they sign up ofr a mowing contract

what do you all think

alex

· Banned
1,639 Posts
You need to inform them that the more rain you get in a year the more need there is to aerate the lawn to let it "breath". This year all the rain compacted the yards terrible so we really pushed aerations heavy. However since this older thread has been bumped up to the top its really no need to push aerations anymore.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.