Aeration and overseed

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Diego A Antonio, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Diego A Antonio

Diego A Antonio LawnSite Member

Hi All,

Just landed my first lawn renovation for this fall.

I'm thinking about doing a aeration, seeding & top dress with compost.

I'm having difficulty pricing this. don't want to go too high or too low

Any basic standards out there that i can follow?? i'm in southern New Hampshire.

i would really appreciate any help i can get.

Thanks
    Diego

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

The topdress is a lot of work for little benefit--unless the customer insists on it.
    My opinion, double aerate and double seed. Labor is a lot less.
    Don't forget starter fertilizer (at the maximum rate).
    Read his water meter--and insist he waters heavily. His water bill should show a major increase. Tell him no guarantee whatever if his water bill does not spike up.

Diego A Antonio likes this.
  3. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I'd also like to see what people are charging for this typ of service.
    Generally I get something like $15-20 per 1k for aerateing and it takes 45- 60 minutes to aerate 10k. I figure approximately 1 man hour to put out 1 yd at compost at 1yd per k...using wheelbarrels and forecasting method. Another $15-20 per 1k to seed, plus the cost of seed.

4. Diego A Antonio

I'm going with the 3x the cost of mowing. I have seen folks talk about that formula for pricing

Let me know if i'm in the right track..

Thansk

5. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Silver Member

To do an aeration correctly it takes more then 3 times the amount of time to mow a property and is harder on the equipment and body.

Diego A Antonio likes this.
  6. Diego A Antonio

I'm in southern New Hampshire any recommendations?? this is fairly new to me.

7. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Gold Member

I have heard that , now how do the fert and squirt companies that dont mow charge ? Aerating is a short season with long hours using a expensive machine that gets used a small portion of the year . Bid the job to make money . If you want to stand out and get recomendations , double aerate and double seed , use plenty of fert .

Reliable 1 and RigglePLC like this.
  8. RedSox4Life

from Mass

Picking a number out of thin air.....or a number that you heard someone else charges......isn't a good strategy. You need to know how long these services take you to perform and what they cost you. Only then can you come up with a pricing structure.

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I do not understand $15 to $20 per thous to seed. Even if you are slow, you can use a spreader to cover 1000 sqft per minute.
    If you paid $2 per pound for seed and applied 5 pounds per thousand, that is $10.
    Using a slit seeder--the machine cost is much higher, of course. You should charge enough to pay off the machine cost in one year, (maybe two years). And it is much slower with a 24 inch wide slit seeder.

10. RedSox4Life

from Mass

I only slice seed, never broadcast