Aeration - Client Communication, Process and Pre-Emergent

mdalby

LawnSite Member
I just bought a Plugr PL800 and I am going to start doing a little aeration in my area.

Do any of you have any tips that you would be willing to share on the best communication to have with clients for proper watering, sprinkler flagging etc, post aeration pre-emergent etc to make sure the aeration process is optimal?

All the lawns will be KBG and will be for the generic lawn maintenance and will most likely not be seeding etc. I am guessing that the vast majority will want to do their own pre-emergent. My process for pre-emergent for my personal lawn using a backpack sprayer with Prodiamine or Tenacity would most likely not be the best for the normal home owner.

What is a good standard granular pre-emergent to recommend to customers that would be good? Dimension?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
Youngandfree,

Can you expound a little for a rookie? Are you saying that granular won't do the trick?
Can a homeowner even buy it?

Secondly, if a homeowner was inclined to do that much work on their lawn, they'd already be doing it. If they aren't willing, they would likely pay someone to do it for them.

I'm not licensed for squirt and fert, so I don't bother recommending something for them to get on their own. What happens if they dont gt the correct product or incorrectly apply it. Now theyvare mad at you because you told them what to do.

Are you licensed for pesticide? If not maybe connect with someone that is and you know does quality work, and partner up. You arrange it, customers pay you, you pay the fert guy.

OP
M

mdalby

LawnSite Member
Any tips on how how low to mow, how much to water the night before so the soil is softer for deeper plugs etc?

Does anyone have your recommendations that you give to how owners?

walkinonwater27

LawnSite Senior Member
I would just mow at regular height and the seeds will find their way into the holes. A nice watering the night before does work well to loosen up the soil, don’t over due it tho or the lawn will be a muddy mess and difficult for you to aerate. 25-30 min? Personally I do not seed in the spring because it’s probably just going to die in the summer anyway and the customer will be looking to point a finger at someone ( depending on your area). Spring seedings rarely work out well , save yourself the headaches.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
Homeowners can buy darn near every product we use on a few of the do it your self dot com sites. Very few products we use are actually restricted use pesticides. They probably wont want to buy them when they see how much they will have to pay for the smallest size available. Then they will need to have a sprayer or spreader, calibrate and mix and properly apply. Asking for trouble. If it is anything like my state my uncertified guys can only answer the question yes or no if asked if we provide herbicides/pesticides. It is unlawful for them to answer questions or provide recommendations without the proper license/certification.

Top Forums