Aeration & Dethatching 2020 Prices

Mark Stark

LawnSite Fanatic
So, you put down 30+# of seed for $99? Most aeration and over seeding starts at $35/k and goes up from there. A lot of guys are at $40+ all the way up to $65/k.

All depending but.....

Seeding: 10k at 5lb per (over seeding) would be roughly $80 in our cost for material. Time wise about 40 min walking. We do them at $199.

Fert: Roughly $40 in materials. $99 for us to do.

These prices assume we are also aerating. 1 guy is aerating while guy #2 is doing the other work. Time on site: 1 hour.

Before labor and OH, $180 on seed and fert + $100 on aerate. It's a package deal. $280 in an hour less labor and OH.

Aeration on a typical 10k here without the package is roughly $150. Assuming it's pretty standard.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
All depending but.....

Seeding: 10k at 5lb per (over seeding) would be roughly $80 in our cost for material. Time wise about 40 min walking. We do them at $199.

Fert: Roughly $40 in materials. $99 for us to do.

These prices assume we are also aerating. 1 guy is aerating while guy #2 is doing the other work. Time on site: 1 hour.

Before labor and OH, $180 on seed and fert + $100 on aerate. It's a package deal. $280 in an hour less labor and OH.

Aeration on a typical 10k here without the package is roughly $150. Assuming it's pretty standard.
Ok. I understand now.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
I think we're inline for the area. We price it all separate but offer a "package" that I love selling. We do well with this method. If it's just me and my partner on a crew doing this, we can do 10 in a long day (10 packages).

We're thinking about a Stinger to improve this even more.
It will. The guy I sub fertilizer to says he does up to 20 per day using 26” aerators.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
I bought a use Classen self propelled core aerator from HD about 5 years ago for $900, tax included. Had only 40 hours. To this day still runs perfectly. I looked up price new and it was $4500 - yes it is built for the rental market, but one way to look at it is it's built like a tank and designed to take a beating. We dont do many aerations, unfotunately, I have never pushed it hard, but it the unit has paid for itself many many times over. Not to mention the hassle of renting when you have to go get it, clean it up immediately, take it back before a given time.

Jake the grass guy

LawnSite Senior Member
Classen split drive is what we have here. Have read that the Turf XT5 is nice but is single hydro. The "Lexus" walk behind is the Stinger 24"? dual hydro. Ran one at GIE and it is like running a hydro walk mower. Literally, that easy. If you guys are in this for the long haul and have the $ to invest that is the only machine I would consider.
Just picked up my stinger yesteday. a little wet here but as soon as it drys up im going to give it a go. pretty excited and from what ive heard and read they rock.

Jake the grass guy

LawnSite Senior Member
I bought a use Classen self propelled core aerator from HD about 5 years ago for $900, tax included. Had only 40 hours. To this day still runs perfectly. I looked up price new and it was $4500 - yes it is built for the rental market, but one way to look at it is it's built like a tank and designed to take a beating. We dont do many aerations, unfotunately, I have never pushed it hard, but it the unit has paid for itself many many times over. Not to mention the hassle of renting when you have to go get it, clean it up immediately, take it back before a given time.
thats what drove me to buy my own.. instead of doing them all in a day or week and worrying about pickup time and if the aerator is available i have the flexibility to let the customer know exactly when i can do it.

Top Forums