Lawn Care Forum banner

Aeration & Dethatching 2020 Prices

9K views 38 replies 10 participants last post by  Jake the grass guy 
#1 ·
What do yall charge for Aeration & Dethatching?

Do you guys rent the machines or do you own them?

Aeration Prices; $20.00 - $25.00 / 1000 SQFT
Dethatch Prices; $30.00 - $100.00 / 1000 SQFT

Rental Prices:
Aeration: $75.00 - 100.00
Dethatch: $70.00 - 100.00

I feel like my prices a little high because the rental prices really kill me. And the Dethatching can be a real pain in the butt. I've never tried the attachment for the mowers for dethatching, we always go for a more premium in depth dethatch with a power rake.

#2 ·
I think dethatching, is super easy. But the clean up, I hate. Aeration is a work out.
I too rent machines.
I try and book as many as I can into one day. So, last year I did one day of aeration and 2 day of power rakeing. I made at least $600 each of those days,
I consider that harder work, then mowing, my main job. so charge more. But I have no specific guidlines. For my pricing. I look at a property decide i'd want to make $200 for this, charge that.and try and fill up a day and do only that. So the rental fees do t kill me.

#4 ·
I think dethatching, is super easy. But the clean up, I hate. Aeration is a work out.
I too rent machines.
I try and book as many as I can into one day. So, last year I did one day of aeration and 2 day of power rakeing. I made at least $600 each of those days,
I consider that harder work, then mowing, my main job. so charge more. But I have no specific guidlines. For my pricing. I look at a property decide i'f want to make $200 for this, charge that.and try and fill up a day and do only that. So the rental fees do t kill me.
Yea the clean-up can be a real pain. I try to figure it's a more premium service vs the attachment guys put on their mowers.

#3 ·
We're in your market. We don't dethatch. It's a hassle.

I think your aeration prices are high. At $25 per 1k of turf, your roughly $200-$250 for a typical 1/4-1/3 acre property in our area.

If you can get it, great. Renting aerator sucks because it's seasonal and everyone wants to get one. Same as rolling really. I suppose of you have a secure line on one each season, that's cool. You should rent by the month probably.

Here's another idea....if you can charge the prices your trying for, network with someone else in your market :)waving:) who you could sub it out to. You make money for less work and hassle.

#5 ·
We're in your market. We don't dethatch. It's a hassle.

I think your aeration prices are high. At $25 per 1k of turf, your roughly $200-$250 for a typical 1/4-1/3 acre property in our area.

If you can get it, great. Renting aerator sucks because it's seasonal and everyone wants to get one. Same as rolling really. I suppose of you have a secure line on one each season, that's cool. You should rent by the month probably.

Here's another idea....if you can charge the prices your trying for, network with someone else in your market :)waving:) who you could sub it out to. You make money for less work and hassle.
I figure we are a little high on the Aeration, probably could be between $15.00 - $22.00 / 1000 SQFT.
And Rochester is really far from us. :p

#6 ·
Around here, there is a group of 4 guys. They don't even do lawn care.
But during aeration season, they rent out all the aerators, so no one else can. Then put up signs "aeration $40". All Four guys hop out the suv. And get to work.
They get all the jobs, because the get done quick, and it it others can't because there is no aerators left to rent. Plus the put signs everywere. I know of two groups like this.

#9 ·
Around here, there is a group of 4 guys. They don't even do lawn care.
But during aeration season, they rent out all the aerators, so no one else can. Then put up signs "aeration $40". All Four guys hop out the suv. And get to work.
They get all the jobs, because the get done quick, and it it others can't because there is no aerators left to rent. Plus the put signs everywere. I know of two groups like this.
There is a company around here who does this. They do a crappy job and their ads are misleading.

Reactions: sjessen
#7 ·
I don't dethatch. Most of the time it doesn't need it.

Aerating is $100 minimum up to 5000 sq feet. Price goes up from there depending on obstacles and turns, odd shapes etc. I don't do the whole X amount per 1000. As I mention in the next paragraph I use a ride on...so wide open spaces are pretty easy...so an additional 1000 isn't all that much effort. What kills time are the obstacles and weird patio or flowerbed shapes.

I rent a Toro Ride on aerator for a week in September...schedule everyone that week. I usually turn in the aerator a day or two early but I rent it for the week and reserve the same week the following year when I turn it in.

#23 ·
I dont do any aeration but do plenty of dethatching. I use.jrco attachment set pretty deep in my opinion works well and with bagger its a one or 2 pass job for decent size properties. The small ones I have raked by hand, usually are hilly also.

I have used aerator in fall an old Billy goat rental unit. It was a beast only did few lawns and I was beat. Looking at different options for this year if enough interest.

#37 ·
I bought a use Classen self propelled core aerator from HD about 5 years ago for $900, tax included. Had only 40 hours. To this day still runs perfectly. I looked up price new and it was $4500 - yes it is built for the rental market, but one way to look at it is it's built like a tank and designed to take a beating. We dont do many aerations, unfotunately, I have never pushed it hard, but it the unit has paid for itself many many times over. Not to mention the hassle of renting when you have to go get it, clean it up immediately, take it back before a given time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.