Aeration does it make a difference?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tbtigers, Jun 30, 2016.

1. tbtigers

tbtigers LawnSite Member
    from La

just curious of what some of you think of aeration and if it shows any significant improvements to grass?

2. On a call

On a call LawnSite Gold Member

On some lawns a huge difference.
    On others no difference.
    Is it a cure all..no.

I like to use it where needed. Heavy thatch or compacted soils. Even compaction can work its way out on its own.

gcbailey likes this.
  3. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

Without a doubt it helps. Look up some studies that universities have done to show the difference. On natural turf sporting fields that see a lot of play they aerate the crap out of them, once a month at least. I have seen cutaways of the aeration holes which shows the roots growing down the holes. It is one of the best long term things you can do for a lawn.

4. 13Razorbackfan

13Razorbackfan LawnSite Silver Member

As a matter of fact I need to have it done to my Bermuda lawn. It's gotten so hard it's like concrete.

5. On a call

One problem I have discovered with aeration is how lawns get bumpy.

You are creating a void and making a pile do it enough and you have a very rough lawn.

6. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Fanatic
    from nc

Warm season aeration is great. Many times with proper irrigation each plug may also root up. It helps relieve compaction which gets water, air, nutrients to root zone.

Now if you are asking "if I aerate today will my lawn green up or grow better". Probably not but it all starts with the soil.

7. On a call

I bet you guys sell lots of aeration's :)

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

The best way to find out: aerate the left side--leave the right side as untreated control. Compare after 4 weeks--get pictures. (Use your own lawn.)

Worse yet, considering the equipment, its gas and maintenance and labor required--the profit margins are slim.

Do not forget to subtract--the damage done to irrigation heads and valve boxes.

On a call likes this.
  9. On a call

Great points R !

You might also just do it year after year.

I would also use different soil types and conditions.

10. OP
    OP
    tbtigers

tbtigers LawnSite Member
    from La

Riggle
    You suggesting this is not profitable? I only had enough work this past spring to fill 3 days of aeration.