1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Aeration Door to Door?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Ottawa Lawn and Yard, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Ottawa Lawn and Yard

Ottawa Lawn and Yard LawnSite Member

Hi Everyone, just looking for your thoughts by starting my first full year off with by doing some lawn aeration going door to door?

Given the ROI on purchasing an aerator for the amount of usage throughout the year, My plan is to rent an aerator over a weekend for the first year and going door to door for the first few weekends in the spring. I also include aeration in all of my advertisements.

Just wondering what’s everyone’s thoughts are and any tips, tricks and safety precautions(I’d probably have to confirm with the customer of any irrigation heads below), but any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone, I truly value and appreciate all Owner\Operators opinions and ideas.

2. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Gold Member

If someone knocked on my door without any connection or reference, I'd turn them away.

It might make sense to go door to door after you get a real customer in a neighborhood. After you complete the job, knock on the neighbor's door and then you can say "I just aerated Mr Smith's house across the street, I am offering a special deal while I am in the area"

Mac-s Lawn & Snow likes this.
  3. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

Once you are doing a yard in a neighborhood yes start banging on the neighbors doors and you should pick up some work. You better have customers sign a damage waiver. Cable lines buried just under the sod will get damaged. If you knock someone off the internet they will not be happy. On the irrigation side, have some knowledge of the different controllers so you can flag heads. For me I find It difficult with all the controllers out there to run through the system and it is possible to change the settings when doing so. I find many homeowners do not know how to run through their systems. There is a way to fire up zones at the valve boxes but unless you have some good irrigation knowledge that is best left to the professionals.

No gloves and Crazy 4 grass like this.
  4. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Fanatic

One of my guys swears that he can go door-to-door and sell a ton of jobs. He's been saying this for the last 2 years. This spring I decided that I might take him up on that offer.

I thought about sending him out on his own letting him do his thing. We'd pay him a commission for every job he sells.

I'm just always leery of going door-to-door because I'm not certain that it's very professional. But on the other hand we've had good success leaving flyers.

A damage waiver is a must. We also have flags that we provide clients if they need them so they can mark off any invisible dog fencing, irrigation, or whatever else might be under there that we're not aware of.

Irrigation is not very common in our area though so it's not a huge concern. Invisible fencing on the other hand is pretty darn common.

5. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Senior Member

I think its important to have job in the neighborhood before you start knocking on people doors looking for more work. A common scam run around here is asphalt guys going door to door saying they have some leftover blacktop and are looking to get rid of it. It is a total scam,they are usually from out of town and they will do a quick overlay that won't last a month and will now cost you more to cleanup the mess left behind. People are wary of this making the door to door thing difficult.

Crazy 4 grass and Mark Stark like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Ottawa Lawn and Yard

That's some great advice, thanks for the feedback "hackitdown" I very appreciate it

7. OP
    OP
    Ottawa Lawn and Yard

Thanks "Mac-s Lawn & Snow" we get that kinda stuff up here in Canada as well. I appreciate the sound advice

8. OP
    OP
    Ottawa Lawn and Yard

You make a lot of sense "Mark Stark", I'm also kinda leery about going door to door, maybe I will start off with one customer and then approaching the neighbours. I look your idea about a damage waiver, you wouldn't happen to have a sample of one would you, so you can send?
    Thanks very much for the help, I very much appreciate it

9. eggy

eggy LawnSite Bronze Member

Cable and fiber optics are right under the turf in this area..

10. jonthepain

jonthepain LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Raleigh

When we used to do aeration, we'd have people come up to us at most jobs and ask for a quote. Happened at gas stations and wherever we'd stop the trailer.

One fall we ran an adwords ad, and got 10 calls a day. It was ridiculous.

Aerating all day long will wear you out!