• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

aeration in the spring?

Drivefaster35

LawnSite Senior Member
I' used to aerate in the fall however beating the weather and marking sprinkler heads right before they get blown out as I don't blow them out is a pain. I'm thinkin about aerating in the spring from here on out was wondering how that will effect my crabgrass and what not control. We all know the best defense against weeds and a good turf is a thick turf. I'm conserned with opening it up aerating it. Any thoughts or suggestions?

FourTrees

LawnSite Senior Member
Just aerate before you spread your pre-em. Spring really is a good time it can really get the yard kick started, fall works but you are basically doing it right before dormancy and (in snow areas) a heavy snow just compacts thing again.

I am not saying fall is bad, you can just see the results a bit better in spring.

turfcobob

LawnSite Senior Member
No fear in aeration in the spring according to studies done by Univ. of Nebr., Michigan State and I believe Ohio State. According to these studies annual weeds will not grow up through a barrier or put roots down through a barrier. Nor will the plants grow sideways in search of a aeration hole to grow out of. In studies they said the infestation was the same with our without aeration after the pre-emerge barriers were down. This means you can aerate right through the pre-emerge season with no increase in annual weed occurance.

FourTrees

LawnSite Senior Member
No fear in aeration in the spring according to studies done by Univ. of Nebr., Michigan State and I believe Ohio State. According to these studies annual weeds will not grow up through a barrier or put roots down through a barrier. Nor will the plants grow sideways in search of a aeration hole to grow out of. In studies they said the infestation was the same with our without aeration after the pre-emerge barriers were down. This means you can aerate right through the pre-emerge season with no increase in annual weed occurance.
Interesting study and thank you. I think I will still try and do it pre-em, based upon the fact the old habits and beliefs are hard to change. Darn that stubbornness.

I'll Google it anyways, but for times sake happen to have any links on those studies? Always want to learn more.

FourTrees

LawnSite Senior Member
Interestingly enough I am finding numerous articles referencing some studies but no actual site references. Any help with actual references would be great. Many of the references just linked to LCO personal business site and LawnSite, and people just saying there is a study. I'll keep looking though, maybe just using wrong key words.

How to Maximize Preemergence Herbicide Performance for Summer Annual Weeds
Tim R. Murphy
College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
The University of Georgia

Aeration at one or two months after application increased large crabgrass cover 5% for oxadiazon at
2.0 lbs. ai/acre, but not at 4.0 lbs. ai/acre. In a related Georgia study, it was shown that core aeration
at one, two, or three months after an application of oxadiazon did not decrease goosegrass control on a
'Tifgreen' bermudagrass putting green. In Michigan, core aeration, or vertical mowing, immediately or
one month after an application of benefin, bensulide, or DCPA did not affect large crabgrass control in
annual bluegrass. A study conducted in North carolina showed that aeration did not affect the activity
of several preemergence herbicides in controlling crabgrass species in either 'Tifgreen' or common
bermudagrass. However, in creeping bentgrass, significantly greater amounts of crabgrass occurred in
aerified plots with the cores returned than in plots not aerified, or aerified plots with the cores removed.
While most herbicide labels do not recommend aeration after preemergence herbicide application,
university-conducted research has not shown an adverse effect on crabgrass control. Results can vary
between research plots and commercial turfgrass sites and there may be situations where core aeration
after preemergence herbicide application could stimulate crabgrass and goosegrass emergence. But, if
the site requires aeration to encourage turfgrass growth and development, then it should be done. If
crabgrass or goosegrass emerges, there are excellent postemergence herbicides that can be used.
Although this does say there was not a noticeable increase in weed it does site some also it states that site and grass type varied results.

Young Bros

LawnSite Senior Member
Works good in the spring or fall. I try to balance it out between the two so our workload is not too much.

grassman177

LawnSite Fanatic
i almost refuse in spring, as i have never seen any actual studies to suggest either good or bad for interference of a pre em control.

if i had access for good info on how it does NOT affect crabgrass and annual weed control i would consider otherwise.

lawn king

LawnSite Silver Member
We do about 25% of our annual aerations in the spring. I dont feel there is any disadvantage as long as you use a good pre timed well.

grass4gas

LawnSite Bronze Member
Aerating in the spring in my neck of the woods poses no problems for me. As mentioned above, do your aeration first and then apply your pre-emergence.

When I need to aerate certain lawns in the spring, I hold off as along as possible...usually around mid to late April, that way I get away with one app of pre emergent using barricade at the proper time.

Jack

turfcobob

LawnSite Senior Member
I would imagine you would have to go directly to the University in mind and talk with the Turfgrass Agronomy Dept. The ones I read were in Pamplet form not a book so I doubt they would be for sale in the Univ. book stores. They would hand them out when you toured the turfgrass test plots during the summer field days. I used to make a lot of the field days but I just get to a few now days. turfcobob