1. Ask the Expert: Live Event with Koch - What's In The Bag?: March 22, 2018
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental: March 22, 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Aeration marking

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Todd73, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Florida

I’ve had enough customers inquire about aeration that I’m going to start scheduling soon. My question is, do you take the responsibility for marking sprinkler heads and other obstacles yourself? Drop off a bunch of flags and have the customer do it themself? Both?

My main concern is the sprinkler heads as most of my customers have them. The problem is, most people aren’t home when I’m there and I have no access to their system to fire it up and know where all the heads are to mark. I’m leaning towards a both where I mark and they mark, hoping there’s an overlap and they might get something that I didn’t know about.
  2. Exmark fan

Exmark fan LawnSite Member

I am letting my customers know that they are responsible for marking them. And also if any sprinkler heads are damaged that I am not responsible for the damages if the customer marked their sprinklers and I do not mark their sprinklers.
  3. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Missouri

I make clients mark them. They have access, I don't.
  4. Trillium Landscaping

Trillium Landscaping LawnSite Member

If you have wealthy clients, add marking them into the price. My clients don't even know what spray paint is....
    Todd73 likes this.
  5. Todd73

Male, from Florida

Looking at your location, and speaking as a Western Mass escapee, I believe that!
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Trillium Landscaping likes this.
  6. SamSchlotz

SamSchlotz LawnSite Member

Hands down, customer responsibility. This goes for Invisible Fence, as well as contacting someone to mark lines (Utility, Cable, etc.)

If a customer fails to mark, we notify them as to why the service was skipped and offer to leave flags/stakes for them to do so.

Save time.
    Save the headaches.
  7. Trillium Landscaping

Trillium Landscaping LawnSite Member

Todd, also thinking of escaping to Florida. Are you on the left or right side??
  8. Todd73

Male, from Florida

Brevard County. East Coast.
  9. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Ark

I don't aerate but if I were in your situation I'd turn the responsibility over to the HO and who they hire. I'd also have some sort of waiver for damage to unseen objects. Also consider neighbors heads irrigation that may be right on the property line or even over, I've read stories on here about that. Be sure the property line is CLEARLY defined. Consider valve boxes also.
    hort101 likes this.
  10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Never ever offer to mark heads yourself. Then your fully liable if you hit one.