Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyone's overseeding and aeration procedure? When do you do them and do you do anything special with the lawn before you do them?

My kid and I are going to start doing some landscaping next year and I want to experiment on my own lawn so I don't run the risk of messing up a client's lawn.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
What is everyone's overseeding and aeration procedure? When do you do them and do you do anything special with the lawn before you do them?

My kid and I are going to start doing some landscaping next year and I want to experiment on my own lawn so I don't run the risk of messing up a client's lawn.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Aeration/seeding works ok...if the lawn just needs thinkened up a little, but it there are large areas it won't work as well.

The key to aeration/seeding is to core the ever living crap out of it which will bring up a lot of soil. Then seed. When it rains, the cores will break up and you will get good seed to soil contact...and the seeds in the core holes also.

Best time is in the fall when we get adequate rainfall.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my neck of the woods here I've had ample rain all summer. My lawn has some patches where there is nothing and some patches where the mower tires skidded on the slope and ripped out grass.

We lowered the pressure in the mower tires and started using a different mowing pattern in the area and it seems to be working now, but those spots just don't want to fill in.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
In my neck of the woods here I've had ample rain all summer. My lawn has some patches where there is nothing and some patches where the mower tires skidded on the slope and ripped out grass.

We lowered the pressure in the mower tires and started using a different mowing pattern in the area and it seems to be working now, but those spots just don't want to fill in.
What you are looking with 'tire tracks' is compaction. Trails are made through forest and field by the principle of tire compaction. People running their trucks through hay fields create a mess with tire compaction.

Like creech says, aerate those areas excessively, and I would add, scratch the surface of the larger areas deeply enough to provide a growing bed for grass ROOTS.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No it's not compaction. I know that for a fact. There is a VERY steep hill where I grab the mower brakes (it's an old Bobcat belt drive w/b) and the tires skid down the hill. That rips up the grass and it just doesn't like growing back in that one spot. It only stopped getting ripped up 2 weeks ago when we changed mowing patterns.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
We have the same thing so we do hills with walkbehind push mowers. Mowing the forest it is impossible to change patterns because their are just too many trees. Short turning radiuses also tear at the grass and also causes compaction.
Pull a plug and see what the soil looks like, is the best way to tell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.