Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to overseed and aerate my lawn. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you are supposed to overseed in early September or somewhere around there.

My question is this. Is there a certain type of year when aeration is most effective to your lawn? I run the big toys in the dirt, but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to stuff like this. Any help you guys can give is greatly appreciated.

Oh. One more question. What can you do to break up the plugs of dirt once you aerate your yard?

· Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh. One more thing. Can anyone recommend a good type of grass for southern Connecticut? There's a bit of shade in the lawn and some is a hillside. Right now it is mostly crabgrass that has taken over. I want to kill off the crabgrass next year, but what can I try to get established so that rain doesn't wash away all my dirt after there is no crabgrass to keep it put?

· Registered
2,004 Posts
CAT, your up north a good bit but we usually do aeration here about middle sept to first 10 days in October so you would probably be a few weeks ahead of us. Just watch the weather and try to get a good month or so of good temperatures for the seed. Even if all of the seed doesnt come up this year, you should see new grass in the spring as well. As for breaking up the cores, thats not really necessary unless you really want too...you will want to water regularly after overseeding so the cores should be settled down(making a nice seedbed) in little time. Do you have a local seed and fert. store? If so, go in there and chat it up with the guys and they will give you a good seed for your area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.