1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Aeration Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The LawnSmith, Mar 15, 2005.

1. The LawnSmith

The LawnSmith LawnSite Member

What are your thoughts on a core or plug aerator versus spike aerator? Are there different reasons to use a spike aerator or core aerator? If not, which is best?

2. theturfsurfer

theturfsurfer LawnSite Member
    from mtka,MN

My understanding of the differences are a core aerator helps relive soil compaction as well as allowing air, water and nutrients to get down to the roots. A spike aerator only helps with getting stuff to the roots, not very effective with soil compaction.

3. Precision PLC

Precision PLC LawnSite Member

Speaking of aerators,after you use a plug aerator do you rake the plugs up or do you just leave them?I f you do clean them up what is the best way to do so? "sorry to hijack your thread" :help

4. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

why clean up the plugs let them sit there. they will break down. i think ther only way to pick those up is by hand, skrew that

5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

spike aerators are a cheap alternative to core aerators, however there is evidence to show that long term use can lead to a parched water table in native soils. Pulling plugs is the best way, as the plugs get broken up they refill the core holes loosely allowing air/gas exchange.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Spike aerators are pretty useless IMO. Leave the plugs too btw.

7. The LawnSmith

The LawnSmith LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. I have been using a spike aerator for the past two years, and have seen the plug/core aerators, but never really knew if there was much of a difference between them. Just trying to gain some knowledge here.