1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Aeration quote questions

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by roushjh, Sep 1, 2005.

1. roushjh

roushjh LawnSite Member
    from KS

I just got a call for a guy in response to my aeration signs I have up around town. He's not sure if he needs aeration, or verticut, but has about 1 1/2 acres he's wanted done. My problem is I don't have a ZTR, just a Plugr 600. I discussed with him that I don't really have the right equipment, but he's going to check on verti-cuts, and keep me in mind.

My questions

1. Am I insane to even think about doing that size of job with a 30" Plugr?

2. Would $500 be a reasonable quote? Keep in mind, most small lots around here ony get about $10-12/k sq ft, I charge $11/k for the first 5 k

Thanks in advance

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

more like 1200

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

$1200, just to aerate 60,000 sq ft?

4. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

I dont see a problem with that. I am seeing the "big guys" at that rate for 1 acre. Maybe drop it a point or 2 for volume but not much or not at all depending ....

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

so then, you are telling me, $800 per acre? this is about $20 per k. yes, of course i love it, but most guys on here would charge like $3 per k, and....that whopping $25 "stop fee". i've never aerated anything this size. in fact, the largest property i've ever mowed was about 1/4 acre

6. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

i have a buddy who feeds me application work and I am pricing up a aeration for a customer he mows ( he does a lot of paver work and does not want to do as much seeding aerating etc) so I asked him what he thinks is fair he says he charges 3 times his normal mowing fee. that's $126 for 36/k that's $3.50/k.... no thanks......he admits it's worth more but it's not a big part of his business and never really sure of the market for these types of services

i talked with a guy the other day who does applications and a lot of seeding for new lawns as well as renovations etc. we talk from time to time and pricing came up etc. his program for aeration 1 pass $15/k for a quarter ac.....2 passes $20/k and $30/k for 2 pass with seed. Adjust up or down according to difficulty factor and volume .....this guy has customer's who have been with him for 20 years and he is not in a high rent district. he says he does a lot of work at this pricing schedule

i have heard of numbers higher than the above but these I can qualify.

7. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

finn is right the going rate is any where from min of 20 bucks per k for 2 passes and up 2 20 bucks more with seed why should i break my back for less
    i do have customers that get a whole package and i will charge them less but the lawn is in great shape and little seed is needed to fill in so i can cut them a deal and i also know how long it takes me because i do it year after year
    but if u want results it will cost u i do a very nice job and u dont have to go look to see if i was there.
    there is no doubt your lawn was aerated and u can see the seed u dont need a magnafieing glass to find seed
    some of the larger companies in my area do it for 10 bucks per k and do a shitty job i am 3 or 4 times as much as them but i get results and people talk